Aghhhhhhh

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
smiley-cry.gif
the dog barked and made me jump whilst cleaning my new stylus
smiley-cry.gif
it bent down and back slighly, managed to gently persuede it back into position and it plays fine. Looking end on it all looks straight and I cant (with my eyes) see any cracks or bends in the cantilever.

Reckon its going to need a trip back to REGA or not??

smiley-cry.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
No idea sorry. If you are 100 percent certain it's ok then carry on.

I have never suffered from these stylus horror stories thankfully. (In 30 years I have always waited until the whole house - not just the room - was empty before embarking upon any stylus/cartridge work.)

Time for you to buy a soundproofed kennel for such moments!

I'm suprised it happened when cleaning the stylus though. The brush is usually used in a forward motion from the back of the cartridge with just the faintest pressure upwards. So accidently pushing the stylus down and backwards is weird.

Do you clean the stylus when the arm is 'tethered' or when it is on the arm cueing platform and 'free' to move upwards and side to side?

If the arm was 'free' then a sudden upward push with the brush may not have damage anything because the arm will move away as well (and not all the force would be concentrated on the cantilever like it would be if the arm was locked in position).

I always had the platter still and the arm on the cueing platform (lever up) when brushing dust from the stylus.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Arm was tethered and sat in its holder. gently moving backwards and jumped when dog barked, unfortunatley on way back down caught top side of stylus. Looks ok, but not 100%. Going to take into Nick and the boys tomorrow, so they can send to REGA, better I think in the long run to have it checked straight away.

A

Anonymous

I would...Bloody dogs! Having said that Im one of the poor sods who knackered a Grado Stylus the first time I had to change one. Lucky it was the one I was replacing that went boobs up.* These things Happen! dont punish yourself too much. I'll bet even on this forum , there are a lot of untold horror stories that people are to ashamed to post. Lol!

* Edited due to censores content. Even bigger LOL!

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
A cantilever is tubular in construction. If you have bent it (even if straightened again) then it will never be as rigid and will eventually break through fatigue. Glad you're taking it to your dealer but don't build your hopes up.

TRENDING THREADS