After sales service: the NAD experience

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
As some may know, I'm the happy owner of a NAD M50 streamer/CDP/ripper. I have it a few months now, and indeed very happy with it. It's software-driven, so every once in a while, a firmware upgrade is offered, fixing some bugs and/or adding new functionality.

Last Monday, a new upgrade was available, adding direct iPad support. Did the update. The iPad option appeared in the menu... But all other 'physical' sources (NAS, CDP, USB-drives) disappeared at the same time from the list. At first internet radio and Spotify Connect failed too, but a reset of the power-LANs solved that. So I was left with radio, Spotify and the iPad -- and with a CD stuck in the CD-loader.

I contacted the NAD support team (popped them a mail). Got a reply after a couple of hours: they had reproduced the issue in their test lab; it was indeed an incompatibility of the new firmware with the local sources, and especially with the CDP. They gave me a hint on how to release the CD that was stuck in the slot (worked well), and promised to get back as soon as they had a solution.

Tonight my M50 anounced there was a new firmware upgrade again. Downloaded. All issues fixed. And iPad support added.

Conclusion: thumbs up for the NAD support team. Fast, friendly and efficient. They even beat Devialet in this regard (IMO that is)!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
As some may know, I'm the happy owner of a NAD M50 streamer/CDP/ripper. I have it a few months now, and indeed very happy with it. It's software-driven, so every once in a while, a firmware upgrade is offered, fixing some bugs and/or adding new functionality.

Last Monday, a new upgrade was available, adding direct iPad support. Did the update. The iPad option appeared in the menu... But all other 'physical' sources (NAS, CDP, USB-drives) disappeared at the same time from the list. At first internet radio and Spotify Connect failed too, but a reset of the power-LANs solved that. So I was left with radio, Spotify and the iPad -- and with a CD stuck in the CD-loader.

I contacted the NAD support team (popped them a mail). Got a reply after a couple of hours: they had reproduced the issue in their test lab; it was indeed an incompatibility of the new firmware with the local sources, and especially with the CDP. They gave me a hint on how to release the CD that was stuck in the slot (worked well), and promised to get back as soon as they had a solution.

Tonight my M50 anounced there was a new firmware upgrade again. Downloaded. All issues fixed. And iPad support added.

Conclusion: thumbs up for the NAD support team. Fast, friendly and efficient. They even beat Devialet in this regard (IMO that is)!

Refreshing Doc. Can't beat great service like that, gives you faith in the Company.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
That's good news. It's also a salutary reminder that software-driven kit does leave the user at the mercy of the software engineers, which means it's especially important to have this level of confidence in customer support.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
That's good news. It's also a salutary reminder that software-driven kit does leave the user at the mercy of the software engineers, which means it's especially important to have this level of confidence in customer support.

That thought crossed my mind indeed. I'm no box-swapper, so I hope the support continues for many years to come.

NAD clearly understand the need for an apt support dept. (which probably costs them a good deal of money, but gives them the necessary credibility).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts