Affordable set up for a beginner

Hi there, first post in here.

I currently have a Technics SL1210-MK2 and use an old mixer i found, plugged into an old stero with amp and then two old bad speakers. The set up works but its so messy, takes up a load of space and doesnt sound that great to be honest.

Im looking to improve on this, soon with a budget of about 200-300, is it right that realisitcly all i need is an amp and some speakers to connect to? Would I need a pre amp and what exactly is this? I would also like to be able to perhaps plug my phone/laptop in to be able to play through that?

any adivce would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
What you need is an amplifier with a built-in phono stage to boost the signal from the Technics turntable, and a decent pair of stereo speakers. Something like the Marantz PM6005, which has a Moving Magnet (MM) phono stage, would work well. You can find it online now for less than £300.

It also has a built-in DAC to make the most of any music stored on your laptop, although there's no USB connection so you'll need a lead or adapter to connect the digital output of your laptop (assuming it has one) to the optical digital input on the Marantz.

http://www.whathifi.com/marantz/pm6005/review

An alternative (but pricier) option would be the NAD D 3020 which has a USB input for directly hooking up your laptop and phone, and Bluetooth streaming. But you'd have to add a separate phono amp to handle the signal from the turntable:

http://www.whathifi.com/nad/d-3020/review

As for speakers, you might want to consider something like the Wharfedale Diamond 220s:

http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

I realise that adds up to more than your budget of £300, but maybe you could start with the amp and add the speakers later.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
If you want new, then something like the Onkyo A-9010 plus Q Acoustics 2010i speakers ( or the 2020i if budget will stretch) will give you everything you need, including built in MM phone for around £300. Raid Fleabay and you will be able to step up through the rankings for the same money. The good news is that HiFi gear does not age too badly, and you should find something to suit relatively easily.

D

Deleted member 116933

Welcome to the forum.

In regards to your system you would be suprised what 2-300 will get you especaily if your patient enough and look around on the big E. (dont know if you would consider secound hand or not you would missing a trick if you didnt)

You can get very good examples of Kef crestas and rotel amps that work really well together An ra 931 or up would be good mixed with a nad CD player. Which i had good experiance with.

for new i would look at

Pioneer a10 amp (119) and a mtaching PD10 (159) with and speaker wise Mission xs (89) or q acoustics 2010 (69) which is little over budget but would be good

alternativley take away the amp and CD player and go with marantz CD5005 (169) PM5005 (179) but again a little over budget

But for the same if not under on the big E you could have!

Nad 320 BEE (75) and nad cd player C545 (buy it now for 99) leaving money for some really nice budget speakers like q acoqustics 2020i for 139 bringing you pretty much bang on target! and that would be one hell of a stystem that punch way above the weight of the ones listed above.

With the quick search i did i couldn't find any dac bassed amps in that price range but what i have listed above is one the big E currently apart from the speakers which can find on most online retailers.

Hope that helps a little and makes sense

Best M

. said:

I currently have a Technics SL1210-MK2 and use an old mixer i found, plugged into an old stero with amp and then two old bad speakers. The set up works but its so messy, takes up a load of space and doesnt sound that great to be honest.

Im looking to improve on this, soon with a budget of about 200-300, is it right that realisitcly all i need is an amp and some speakers to connect to? Would I need a pre amp and what exactly is this? I would also like to be able to perhaps plug my phone/laptop in to be able to play through that?

Thanks, very useful, i quite like the pioneer one, but would definately consider second hand for sure. thinking about it now im not bothered about a CD player, so I could just get away with the amp and speakers?

Also i forgot to mention, I probably need a new cartridge, this is still the standard one that came with and im probably due a new one, again any recomendations?

thanks for your help

millennia_one said:
Welcome to the forum.

In regards to your system you would be suprised what 2-300 will get you especaily if your patient enough and look around on the big E. (dont know if you would consider secound hand or not you would missing a trick if you didnt)

You can get very good examples of Kef crestas and rotel amps that work really well together An ra 931 or up would be good mixed with a nad CD player. Which i had good experiance with.

for new i would look at

Pioneer a10 amp (119) and a mtaching PD10 (159) with and speaker wise Mission xs (89) or q acoustics 2010 (69) which is little over budget but would be good

alternativley take away the amp and CD player and go with marantz CD5005 (169) PM5005 (179) but again a little over budget

But for the same if not under on the big E you could have!

Nad 320 BEE (75) and nad cd player C545 (buy it now for 99) leaving money for some really nice budget speakers like q acoqustics 2020i for 139 bringing you pretty much bang on target! and that would be one hell of a stystem that punch way above the weight of the ones listed above.

With the quick search i did i couldn't find any dac bassed amps in that price range but what i have listed above is one the big E currently apart from the speakers which can find on most online retailers.

Hope that helps a little and makes sense

Best M

. said:

Hi mate, just asking another question as i liked your reply a lot. should you generally try to keep the brands the same? for example i like the look of the Nad 320BEE but i alos like the look of the pioneer pd10. would these both work together? or should i try keep it the same? is there an easier way to contact you?

many thanks

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
You could buy some Yamaha HS7 active speakers which have amplifiers built into them. Unbeatable performance for the price IMO.

These Yamaha speakers can be plugged straight into your mixer so will provide a very simple setup. Being professional monitors they're sold as single speakers (about £140 each) and cost around £280 per pair.

rainsoothe

steve_1979 said:
You could buy some Yamaha HS7 active speakers which have amplifiers built into them. Unbeatable performance for the price IMO.

These Yamaha speakers can be plugged straight into your mixer so will provide a very simple setup. Being professional monitors they're sold as single speakers (about £140 each) and cost around £280 per pair.

+1 - these will sound much better then hi-fi separates at this price, even if you go SH

D

Deleted member 116933

Hello fella. It's completely up to which way you go but the nad c320bbe with a nad c something CD player would be awesome... But currently there are some amazing rotels on eBay that mixed with a nad c541/2 CD player would be awesome! Though those CD players are getting pretty old now and may be hard to find a good quality one.

There both very big sounding and you won't be disappointed. Amp wise that is.

But to answer your question you can mix brands no problem for secound hand you will just have to make sure you read your reviews to get a general idea of what works together.

The pioneer I haven't heard but used to own a stable platter pioneer along time ago and was very good . But I think a nad c 521 or newer would work/ sound better.

I'll keep an eye if you have more questions!

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I would definetly go with a amp with a dac for your computer to be plugged in such as the NAD and Marantz mentioned above. However i have to mention what exceptional value the Topping tp30 ii dac amp i have for £60. You then need to just add a phono pre amp which are not expensive.

Ok brilliant thanks, im currently bidding on a NAD c320BEE, and then Im also bidding on the nad cd player C545 I realised it isnt all that important to play my music from my phone, and if i do want to, i can just get a aux cable and cable that into the back? in terms of speakers is there anything i should look for?

I was thinking of getting these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bowers-and-Wilkins-DM-601-Speakers-in-Black-1-Pair-B-W-/181788738625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a53740441 ? Only because i like the B&W brand. but any advice is obviously appreciated! just need to get a new cartridge and im on my way!

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts