AE1 MK 3 speaker

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello Forum,

just wonder whether any forum member is using the above speaker and also be interested in the electronics used.

My system : Cyrus Pre XPD / X Power, Rega P3/Heed Orbit 1- Benz ACE L

regards from Germany

Edgar

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I've been using a pair for maybe four years now, and while I've chopped and changed electronics in that time (currently Naim Nait XS amplifier and Clear Audio Emotion t/t) I've not felt inclined to replace the AEs. I think they're truly excellent - and they should be a decent match with your amplification.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I currently have AE1 mk1s and I heard the mk3 at the Bristol show in 2008, the step up is unbelievable, sadly I can't remember what electronics they were using (maybe Exposure???) but whatever you're driving them with they'll provide you with a superbly honest and faithful reproduction. I can't fathom how they get so much out of such small speakers.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to try and get some of the new Reference in for review soon (essentially AE1mkIV but wanting to move on and all that...) will be interesting to see what you guys think - purposely designed them to be more affordable, relatively speaking (£1500) but technically superior - I liked the old mkIII, and SE in particular a lot (since I spent months voicing them with the head of R&D and playing with bloody hundreds of capacitors in the process!) - but much prefer these. In terms of power and scale there is no comparison with the new underhung driver, a little smoother to me too - more reminiscent of the mkII oddly... Will be interesting to see if we can finally get Simon to trade-up!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Should you be keen for an everyday Joe to have a pair on long term test Jim. I would be happy to oblige.
emotion-2.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I'll just be happy when we get them fully finished!
emotion-2.gif
Problem going with UK manufacture is that you have to organise EVERYTHING! Currently waiting on rear cab badges from one supplier and boxes from another - for both speakers and stands! (as well as some other bits and bobs), not used to having to do this much work!

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
AEJim:

... there is no comparison with the new underhung driver, a little smoother to me too ...

What is a underhung driver?

I think the AE1 has grown up into puberty...

T

the record spot

Blimey - does that mean its crossovers have dropped?!

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:

AEJim:

... there is no comparison with the new underhung driver, a little smoother to me too ...

What is a underhung driver?

Wiki page here explains it better than I could by waffling on
emotion-2.gif
We use underhung drivers in the Pro speakers too (AE22 passive and active), the Reference 1 magnet is huge - larger than the driver chassis and about 3kg! This has some negatives as it's large enough to affect internal reflections in a speaker this size so we had to engineer in some internal walls to sort that and the bass/mid balance out... I think the end result is the best bass I've heard from a small speaker - not just in quantity but quality too, it times well and has a naturalness about it that I've only really heard in floorstanders. When all the final components are in I expect we'll do some final fine-tuning of the crossover as samples are never the same as mass production and then we're ready to go!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts