Advised to try the KEF R300

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
As I was in Maidstone yesterday, I thought I'd pop into 'Home Media' on Union Street and have a look at the standmount speakers.

I had a chat with a very nice bloke called Simon, and mentioned the PMC TB2is. He said he'd just sold his demo pair and there wouldn't be any replacements as PMC are launching their '20' series speaker, which will pitched at the next price point up (nearer £2k he believes). He said that with my kit, I should be looking at speakers starting at £800.

He did mention the new KEF range, most notably the £1k R300s. They didn't have any in store yet as they've only been released, but he said that when he heard a demo he was amazed at the quality of sound offered.

I left with a promise I'd return and have a listen to a range of speakers including the R300s later in the year. Who knows. I might even open my wallet up. :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The current PMC series is still continuing, and the Twenty series equivalents are quite a bit more.

The R series is pretty damn good. I'm awaiting my R300's, which will be any day now. They're certainly contenders for the best £1k loudspeaker at the moment.

I'd also recommend you look at the ATC SCM11's and ProAc Studio 115's. All should suit your amplification.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris said:
I had a chat with a very nice bloke called Simon, and mentioned the PMC TB2is. He said he'd just sold his demo pair and there wouldn't be any replacements as PMC are launching their '20' series speaker, which will pitched at the next price point up (nearer £2k he believes).

He might have been a very nice bloke, but he really needs to keep up.

News story on the new PMCs here from three weeks back, prices start from £1375, and this is an additional range – ie it doesn't replace any existing models.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris said:
...(nearer £2k he believes). He said that with my kit, I should be looking at speakers starting at £800.

It's refreshing to hear of a salesman who is trying to beat a customer's budget down for once :) (Even if he was wrong about his PMC facts.)

I am pretty sure that if my M-CR603 can work with PMC speakers costing as much as £1500, then your CD192/A85/P85 can too!

Anyway, no matter. He's got you going back again, so he passed salesman test number 1.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I think this is a misinterpritation of what Simon's said! The point of Simon saying that he has sold his TB2i's meant that he was not going to replace his demonstrator with another set. PMC were releasing the Twenty Series loudspeaker that he was investing in as a demonstration set and not replacing his set of TB2i's. I have just spoken to Simon as I know him well and he is fully aware that the I series is due to continue for the forseable future.

Regards

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Big Chris said:
He said that with my kit, I should be looking at speakers starting at £800.

It's refreshing to hear of a salesman who is trying to beat a customer's budget down for once :) (Even if he was wrong about his PMC facts.)

I am pretty sure that if my M-CR603 can work with PMC speakers costing as much as £1500, then your CD192/A85/P85 can too!

I popped into SSAV in Sevenoaks on Monday and the salesman there (didn't catch his name) said that although I'd get an improvement for £1k, I should be looking at around £2k for my new speakers. He steered me towards the B&W CM9s at first, but I told him that due to placement issues I'd still be after a standmount - and as I'm using a sub a floorstander isn't as necessary as it could be.

He advised me to try the PM1s which were looking gorgeous on their stands at the front of the store.

I must admit that the thought of spending £1k appeals more than spending £2k. But if the PM1s sound as good as they look, then who knows..... All I do know is my Wife would NEVER be able to find out their cost!:O

Oh. And thank you CustomCable for clearing up the misunderstanding.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris said:
I popped into SSAV in Sevenoaks on Monday and the salesman there (didn't catch his name) said that although I'd get an improvement for £1k, I should be looking at around £2k for my new speakers.

Naah. With the sort of advances that the likes of ProAc, KEF, PMC, and MA have made recently, a good £1k loudspeaker will definitely give you quite an improvement.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Chris - whatever you do don't buy any speaker without listening to MAs new GX range. That new ribbon tweeter is different to old hard domed of the outgoing model; the looks should appeal to Mrs. Chris too.
Lovely looking, a very crisp sound but the ribbon tweeter was just too bright in sound for my ears. Still check them out.
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

;)
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The current PMC series is still continuing, and the Twenty series equivalents are quite a bit more.

The R series is pretty damn good. I'm awaiting my R300's, which will be any day now. They're certainly contenders for the best £1k loudspeaker at the moment.

I'd also recommend you look at the ATC SCM11's and ProAc Studio 115's. All should suit your amplification.
smiley-wink.gif
:read: For future reference. :)

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts