Advise on first turntable - never mind the budget thing!

Evening guys.

I've been wanting to buy a turntable and start listening to LP's since I got my hifi setup and really want something more appealing than Spotify music! I could go for a FLAC streaming service, but I really find LP's charming and enjoy the sound too much.

I've considered buying a used Yamaha pf-800 in very good condition with a Yamaha mc-1000 coil from a colleague who collects turntables, as he's considering it far more superior to the new budget turntables.

My question to you is, should I go for the used Yamaha with the mc coil or should I buy a Rega RP1, which would probably be my choice? And if I choose the Rega, what would be the best possible coil to use with it, no matter the price? My concern is solely the sound quality. I want it to be GOOD.

If you have any suggestions to what new turntable might be better (again sound quality wise), then please let me know.

Thanks guys.

Mathias

Mathias Frøslev said:
Evening guys.

I've been wanting to buy a turntable and start listening to LP's since I got my hifi setup and really want something more appealing than Spotify music! I could go for a FLAC streaming service, but I really find LP's charming and enjoy the sound too much.

I've considered buying a used Yamaha pf-800 in very good condition with a Yamaha mc-1000 coil from a colleague who collects turntables, as he's considering it far more superior to the new budget turntables.

My question to you is, should I go for the used Yamaha with the mc coil or should I buy a Rega RP1, which would probably be my choice? And if I choose the Rega, what would be the best possible coil to use with it, no matter the price? My concern is solely the sound quality. I want it to be GOOD.

If you have any suggestions to what new turntable might be better (again sound quality wise), then please let me know.

Thanks guys.

Mathias

Yamaha have never, in my opinion, been makers of good turntables. What is your budget?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Ultimately how much budget have you set aside for a TT - or is it an impulse buy as the Yamaha thing has come up for sale - sorry I share Als sentiment in regard to Yamaha TTs.

Thanks for your answer. I don't know much about turntables but I like the sound and let's say my budget is 500-550 £, then which turntable and pickup would you suggest I buy? And how much will the sound quality improve if my budget went up to 1000 £?

Mathias Frøslev said:
Thanks for your answer. I don't know much about turntables but I like the sound and let's say my budget is 500-550 £, then which turntable and pickup would you suggest I buy? And how much will the sound quality improve if my budget went up to 1000 £?

Something like the Project Xpression Carbon UKX for your budget, or just a little over, would be a good starting point. It comes pre fitted with a reasonable cartridge.

Spending £1000 is not going to increase sound quality by two but it gives a lot more options especially when it comes to the important cartridge.

The Project looks interesting. How would you compare it to the Rega RP3 with Elys 2 pickup at about the same price?

When buying a turntable in the Project's price range, would you say that upgrading the cartridge would improve the sound quality a lot? Say, 550£ for the turntable and 450£ for a new cartridge?

Mathias Frøslev said:
The Project looks interesting. How would you compare it to the Rega RP3 with Elys 2 pickup at about the same price?

When buying a turntable in the Project's price range, would you say that upgrading the cartridge would improve the sound quality a lot? Say, 550£ for the turntable and 450£ for a new cartridge?

When you have pretty much equal turntables in this pre range then the only real way of improving their sound quality is to upgrade the cartridge.

The Rega RP3 is a classic deck, it all depends whether you like the looks, you should look for something better than that Elys cartridge though.

Just a wee question Mathias...and I'm surprised nobody has asked yet,what does the rest of your system comprise of regarding electronics and speakers?that would give us more indication how much you should be putting into a turntable,and also whether you are going to need an offboard phono stage.

Mathias Frøslev said:
Thank you for advise. If my budget was lower and my choice stood between a new rega rp1 and a used planar 3 in good condition at the same price, would you then go for the new or the used one?

This would depend on how much you value a warranty. The RP1 probably comes equipped with a cheap cartridge whereas the Planar 3 either doesn't have one or will need a new one, but I am guessing here.

Mark is correct in asking what the rest of your system is, in particular what you intend to attach the turntable to would be helpful. You can, however, never spend too much on the source for your music.

ifor said:
... rather have a good turntable as a base to which I can add better cartridges in time.

So would I but would rather not pay for a cheap cartridge in the first instance. If you're trying sell, what would appear to be, a reasonable deck then don't stick a cr*p cartridge on it. It's a Rega clone on some dodgy looking feet. There are too many of these around trying to get in to the so called vinyl revival which makes newbies head straight for Rega or Project, especially at this price.

ifor said:
... it is absolutely not a Rega clone.

Solid plinth, offset motor may be low-torque variety, even utilises a cheap Rega tonearm but unfortunately an even cheaper than Rega cartridge. Enough said. If you're going to try and fleece newcomers then at least bring out a turntable that is all yours or leave off the superfluous.

Are you someway involved in said company? I do note you own a Manticore.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Al ears said:
ifor said:
... it is absolutely not a Rega clone.

Solid plinth, offset motor may be low-torque variety, even utilises a cheap Rega tonearm but unfortunately an even cheaper than Rega cartridge. Enough said. If you're going to try and fleece newcomers then at least bring out a turntable that is all yours or leave off the superfluous.

It seems you're suggesting that any solid plinthed TT with an offset motor is a Rega clone. That's quite ridiculous IMO.

Plinth: Birch ply vs. MDF?

Motor: completely different; the AnalogueWorks motor is low-torque motor in its own standalone pod

Platter: High mass aluminium vs. glass

Bearing: different

Weight: 13kg vs. 7.2kg

Yes, it has a relatively cheap arm and cartridge, but that's to be expected when something's built to a price. Both re easily upgraded.

quote=Al ears]

Are you someway involved in said company? I do note you own a Manticore.

[/quote]

Of course not! I've visited Divine Audio once and liked what I saw. I also like to point out to newcomers, to vinyl, that there are options other than Rega and Pro-ject.

Sony's HAP-S1 receiver and the matching Sony SS-HA1 speakers. It is not a crazy expensive set up, but it sounds really good as a system for about 1400 £.

I'll be needing a RIIA as well.

What would you recommend, which will suit this system without spending an excessive amount of money?

Thanks.

iMark

We bought a Pro-Ject 1Xpression III Comfort a couple of years ago. The main reason was that is an integrated Speed Box, so switching between 33 1/3 and 45 rpm is very easy. This model was never sold in the UK. The Debut Carbon Esprit SB and the more expensive 2Xperience SB DC are similar to our turntable.

The Ortofon cartridges fitted by Pro-Ject are fine. We have the 2M Red but will upgrade eventually with a 2M Blue stylus.

Another thing to consider is placement. Wall mounting is probably best, but we invested in an Atacama rack and that's fine too.

TRENDING THREADS