Advice with record player and two pin din plugs. Thanks.

Grey-Haze

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I brought a Thorn record player recently, which came with speakers of a different brand. In the shop they seemed work - however at home after the ride home they seem to have difficulity working. The left side struggles to produce any noise at all and the right works decent although it can get 'patchy' often eg loud blunt noises almost like static ( the records are fine).

I was wondering would I be able to purchase an adapter for two pin din plugs so I could use more modern speakers? Do I need a phono preamp thing to use as an adapter? Any other work arounds for a two pin din plug?

Any advice would be great, I could get pictures although I'm at my sisters at the moment.

Thanks,

Sam.

Hi, welcome to the forum.
Suggest you take it back to the shop.
Not too sure about converters for your 2 pin plugs, they might need a rewire and complete replacement for standard bindin posts.
However you will not need a preamp as, if the speakers plug directly into the player, then it already has one internally.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Assuming that you already own some other speakers you could try these.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/in-car-speaker-2-pin-plugs-44119

They'll apparently take up to 4mm cable.

But that Thorn is likely to date from the '70s so could have all kinds of problems. This type of thing often used to have a 5-pin DIN socket for connecting a tape deck. If this has one you could buy a 5-pin DIN to phono lead & connect it to another amp if you have one. That will bypass the Thorns own amp & would need to be connected to a line level input (eg Aux) & NOT to a turntable phono input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts