Advice to upgrade system

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

I currently run an arcam alpha 2 amplifier, cambridge audio CD5 cd player, an old and battered but still goodish sounding pair of mission 760i speaker sat on cheapo ikea speaker stands and connected using qed speaker cable. I have fairly limited space in the room that i use them in and live in a semi detached house, so volume is sometimes something i have to be careful about. I wonder, does anyone have a good starting point(s) for my next upgrade. I tend to use Ebay to buy with all that entails, but have been fortunate so far in selelcting good kit from reliable sellers. Any advice would be useful, thanks. 

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Terryff,

I suppose it would be prudent to know a few things before dishing out advice...

Firstly, what sort of improvement are you looking for (better bass, more detail, more foot-tapping involvement)?

And secondly, what sort of overall budget do you have?

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
If i were honest i would say that the overall sound lacks punch, i have the speakers fairly close to the wall. can move them out a little but not much. I also feel that the speakers are not as musical as i would like (or maybe the other components are the issue). To paint a fuller picture, i just bought the amp and cd player to get back into hi fi after not having a set up for some years. Budget wise, if buying second hand i would like to try and keep below £100 per each component if possible, if that gives me what i am lloking for. I had been looking at arcam amps again, 7r predominantly. speakers i had looked at B&w and mission, maybe even going for M73i floorstanders or some better and newer speakers. I know that i need to upgrade my stands also. Hope this clarifies.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yep, that helps.

The 7r is not the most punchy amp in the world, although people here rate the 8 and 9 quite well. I would suggest maybe something like a Audiolab 8000a or Cyrus 2 being the ticket here. Both amps are noted for their "oomph".

As for speakers, I think the Missions should be ok although maybe try something like the Wharfdale 9.1s. I know they are a bit above budget, but you might find that with them and the amp in place, your CD may well be up to the job...

Another pair, that are cheap as chips but sound great are the Mordaunt Short MS10i's. Look basic, but sound lovely. Like these...

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Thats great advice, i was looking at the following and wondered at your thoughts on them. Also, would the MS be better than the missions, do you think?

ÿ

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290272278811

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290272278811ÿ

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260309385355ÿ

I forgot to mention i have recently also bought a Dual CS505-1 as well.

ÿ

T

the record spot

Why not consider a Marantz set-up from Richer Sounds? They were offering a Marantz CD player and amp with Tannoy F1 speakers for £400 all in. That should be fast enough, the speakers are small enough and it'll have the punchy sound you like. All well rated too.

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I wondered about the F1's, but felt they might not have enough oomph compared to the mission 760i's i already own, am open to persuasion though if anyone thinks differently.

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Oh Dear.

I know i had some excellent advice from you guys, but i sa a pair of old Castle Pembrokes and had to get them, at £36 it was rude not to (thank you ebay). Only trouble is....they are a bit big! But they sing beautifully. ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
That's a very very good buy. You need to spend a little more on your source and amp now then, can you afford £500?

If so you could afford an A85/P85 amp combo and a decent CD player to match, either from Arcam, Musical Fidelity, Rega, NAD etc. This will really do your speakers justice. Or if you don;t have this then forget about the P85 for a few months and then use that as your next upgrade. Seriously the A85/P85 works really well biamped.

ÿ

John Duncan

Here's an alternative, if you can cope with the big box - I have an Alpha 2 and spent a long time upgrading and downgrading to balance sound and OH acceptability, and at one point I had a Yamaha DSP620AX, which a) had fantastic punch, and blew the Arcam out of the water; b) has a reasonable DAC with which you can improve the sound of the CD5; c) adds surround sound capability if you want it and d) can often be found on eBay for as little as £50.

John Duncan

And of course, put a pair of £120 Tannoy F4s on the end. Job done
emotion-2.gif

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Thats a refreshingly different solution. You know something mad, i have a pioneer surround amp sat doing nothing, maybe i should try it, its enormous....hmmmmm, tonight could be fun. amazing i did not think of using it before, will post up the model number when i get home.

Thanks John.ÿ

John Duncan

Well I'm not guaranteeing that your Pi will be as musical as the Yamaha, but I really used to like it - I mean I subsequently replaced it for a Creek and then a Primare (because of size more than anything), but I had the Yamaha out recently with a DVD player plugged into it and it was really good, and with it being in a market segment that puts a lot of store on having to have the latest and greatest, it's exceptional value second hand.

One last thing, the Yamaha was very good quiet because it had a bass boost which was subtle enough to just add a fullness at low volume which didn't swamp things.

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Will check out the price on it (Yamaha), think you might be right reagrding musicality of pioneer, dont even think it has bananas, just nasty spring clips that struggled to cope with thick speaker wire, if memory serves.ÿ

John Duncan

Terryff:Can only see a price of £149 for the tannoys, is £120 in-store?

Yeah, I think the next run of all the magazines has adverts for £120 - mention it in store and you should get that price.

OH = Other Half
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts