Advice Please - MF A5, A5CR, MA GS10

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Just trying to work out if my system has any weak links in comparison to other components. I have a Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated driving the HF, and an MF A5 Power Amp driving the LF, in a BiAmp combo. Speakers are Monitor Audio GS10s , and CD is a Marantz SA15S1. Current cabling is QED Silver Spriral Interconnect, and Chord Carnival Silver BiWire. What I'm curious on is A: What interconnects and speaker cable should I be using for this level of system? My thoughts is the QED is too bright, and the Carnival is not high end enough, so do you think using the Chord Cobra 3 for the Power Amp - Int Amp connection, Chord Chameleon for the CD connection, and Chord Rumour or Odysey for spkr cable? Or any other alternatives for this steup? Other question is are the MA GS10 as £900 of the right level for the 4k MF Marant combo?

Thanks for your responses

Tim

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Evotim"]
Hi

Just trying to work out if my system has any weak links in comparison to other components. I have a Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated driving the HF, and an MF A5 Power Amp driving the LF, in a BiAmp combo. Speakers are Monitor Audio GS10s , and CD is a Marantz SA15S1. Current cabling is QED Silver Spriral Interconnect, and Chord Carnival Silver BiWire. What I'm curious on is A: What interconnects and speaker cable should I be using for this level of system? My thoughts is the QED is too bright, and the Carnival is not high end enough, so do you think using the Chord Cobra 3 for the Power Amp - Int Amp connection, Chord Chameleon for the CD connection, and Chord Rumour or Odysey for spkr cable? Or any other alternatives for this steup? Other question is are the MA GS10 as £900 of the right level for the 4k MF Marant combo?

Thanks for your responses

Tim
[/quote]
I found that even on my humble system, upgrading from a Chord Cobra 2 i/c on the CDP and Carnival Silver Plus biwire to what I now have listed in my signature, the difference was very much worth it. Also, in my experience, you should put the better i/c between the pre/power amps. Ideally you should have the same i/c type throughout. It's all well worth it!

Speaker choice is not as simple. The amps you have are capable of driving a lot of very good speakers and I suspect it's more about what you can afford. Some good floorstanders would probably work brilliantly! Something like PMC FB1i or Proac D28! The GS10s would be the entry point for them IMO. Your system sounds superb, I'm sure it works very well indeed.

A

Anonymous

I think your system is pretty boss man. I wouldn't change anything but the silvers. Silver always sounds bright, go copper for sure. Otherwise, if it ain't broke!

A

Anonymous

900 quid speakers with a 4 grand amp setup? if there is a weak link, it's possibly there. Why not audition the MA platinum 100's (if you wanna stay standmount) or the 300's. See how they sound with your other kit.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You dont mention what you dont like about your system other than that you think one interconnect is to bright. Do you like the sound of your gear? What is the problem other than what constitutes 'high end'?

A

Anonymous

Im not referring to High end as in 'High End' equipment, I wouldnt call my equipment high end as all, I just meant is my spkr cable of high enough quality to match the rest of the system. Seeing your other thread on high end, its all realtive, after all someone who has been used to a Curries special or Amstrad style mini system would think of a £200 CD or Amp as high end.

I dont dislike my system at all, just wanted advice from you guys and gals and how it could be improved.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You have a nice collection of electronics. I am not a fan of Monitor Audio speakers, thats just personal preference but I do think you could improve your system by changing speakers, funds provided. I wont give advise on cables as I am not into that to an extend some members are. I am sure you get plenty of replies on that, alternatively scan recent threads on the subject, there are plenty!

A

Anonymous

That was my thought to some degree, thinking that good though the GS10s are, a £1500rrp amp wouldnt be that well matched by £900rrp speakers. Just to clarify I am only looking at standmounts, have a pair of GS20 floorstanders in a different setup in another room. So cables aside, which I'd still like some help in matching for this system, what aestitically pleasing standmount £1000rrp + speakers are going to go well against the MF /Marantz kit?

A

Anonymous

I found the perfect answer for you today! And I bought them too. The new Spendor SA1s. Small stand mounter, sealed unit so easy to position, £1.1k, stunning sound and a good match for the MF. Somewhat different to the MAs, but the sound will charm you and win you over. Rated to only 75Hz, but you'd be amazed by the balance. They kicked out a more musical balance than the Proac Tab Ref 8 Sigs. Have a play.

A

Anonymous

Anyone had any experience of Audioquest interconnects? Specifically the Emerald?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Evotim"] a £1500rrp amp wouldnt be that well matched by £900rrp speakers.[/quote]

Its not just about how much they are. You can spend more and get less. I just feel MA speakers, as nice as they look and with all the 'high tech' materials and technical know how that have gone into the products, dont compete to well with some other products at similar prices or even less. Its almost as if the image matters more than the sound. Compare this with say a product from Epos or Rega, no fancy materials just sound engineering with a little bit of soul from the people that produce them. Thats not to say every MA product is bad. I have'nt heard any of the platinum series but people have spoken highly of them and I am sure they sound good. The should do for the prices asked! You have a world of choice at 1k+. Also consider speakers other than mainstream options such as jordan, yamaha, thiele etc.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Evotim"]
Anyone had any experience of Audioquest interconnects? Specifically the Emerald?
[/quote]

I'm using the Audioquest Jaguars with my MF/Cyrus setup and I personally believe these cables are worth every penny. I bought them in the sates for around £90 for a 1 meter length and £70 for a 1/2 meter, mail order that is. I have priced these in the UK at around £240 for a meter pair so bargin!

As for sound when I went to my local dealer yesterday for a demo session I took my cables as he had never heard them before, all I can say he was shocked by them, thought the batteries were a gimick etc... He is a big chord fan but said he did think these cables were in his words very good for the price I paid but even at full UK RRp he would be tempted by them.

If you live near Manchester your more than welcome to come for a listen

A

Anonymous

Is the mail order place online? Do you have the URL? Have been looking into the AQ Jaguars and the Cheetah, so may go for those if the price is right, although the AQ web site has the new range now so no mention of the relative pros / cons of the Jaguar against the Cheetah. Cant find any UK reviews of them either :-(

A

Anonymous

I dont know of the differences between the 2 off hand but I do have a spec sheet and UK RRP and distrubutors price list for the full AQ range.

mail me at chrislowe670 at the hotplace dot com and I will send it to you.

As for the URL just google what you want and look for a disty in the US as I have bought the HDMI and interconnects from different dealers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts