Advice on using an old passive sub with new Tannoy HTS101 speakers

gavhallesy

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I’ve presently got what you would call a starter system, which is an Onkyo bundle, a HT-S3405. The receiver is a HT-R390 and the speakers that came with it are rated at 6 ohms. I want to replace both the speakers and the receiver but probably have to do it in stages. (I’m looking preferably at the Yamaha RX-V575 or the maybe the Onkyo TXNR 515). I’ve pretty much decided that I want the Tannoy HTS101 speakers. Or maybe the Wharfedale DX1 HCP... My concern is, and excuse any ignorance as I’m not particularly clued up, if I buy the Tannoys now and plug them into my current receiver, can I for the time being continue to use the passive subwoofer - SKW-348 - that came with my current speakers? The current receiver doesn’t have Active Sub support but would like to use the Tannoys with my old sub (instead of the new Active sub that comes with them), until a time that I can change for a new receiver. The Tannoys are rated at 8 ohms according to spec. I just want to make sure I'm not going to cause any damage to the speakers or the amplifier.Hope someone can help or advise,Thanks, Gavin

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello Gavin,

I'm not familiar with your Onkyo bundle at all, I fear. However, if it came as a complete package - receiver, satellite speakers and subwoofer, especially if the subwoofer is passive, then I would be surprised if any of them could be replaced with external components. Check with your dealer, but I imagine that you will have to just discard the whole bundle and replace it all with separates when you have enough money. Bundles are fine for people who are unlikely to to want to change their system, and there are plenty of such people. You, alas, are showing the symptoms of upgraditis. Oh, next time make sure that the subwoofer is active, not passive.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Gav

Yes you will be fine to run the new sats in the meantime, no problem on that score. You can also run the Onkyo sub with the replacement sats as well.

TRENDING THREADS