Advice on upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, i currently have onkyo905 amp with kef iq5 fronts kef iq60c centre and kef 3005 surrounds, qed siver anaversary xt wireing, kef sub,

i have the chance to buy a pair of monitor rs8 floor standers and a pair of rs-fx surrounds, for £400, they are in imaculate condition.

my question is, would repacing the iq5 with the rs8's be ok (still use the kef centre) and repalace the kef L/R side, with the rs-fx (still keep kef 3005 rears) work ok?

also is £400 seems like a good price to me, but what do others think?

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
that's also a good point
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi, thanks for the reply, my room is 16ft x 12, prabably a liitle small for the rs8's, but they sound great when i listend to them in a simular sized room, even though the speaker ports had the port bungs in.

Andrew, what do you mean when you say the centre might sound odd?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Only that the tonal balance of the centre will be entirely different from that of the left and right: I'd always advocate having left, right and centre not only from the same brand, but from within the same range within that brand.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Only that the tonal balance of the centre will be entirely different from that of the left and right: I'd always advocate having left, right and centre not only from the same brand, but from within the same range within that brand.
Would definitely support Andrews expert advice.

As you have demoed the speakers and like them , also the price to you seems a good deal then go for it but do consider changing the centre speaker as advised by the WHF team.

You can always ebay your KEF centre to offset the additional cost

A

Anonymous

I see, what about the side speakers, only reason why i want to place the rs-fx at the side is they are narrower then the kefs, and the missis complains that the kefs are a bit obtrusive,

also would use the rs8's for my marantz 6003cd, (bought 2x2 meters of chord epic cable at a car boot sale £10, couldnt belive my luck)

A

Anonymous

Hi, ok i've bought them as i thought i can allways sell them on if they are not suitable,

must say just tried them with my marantz cd6003 and 6003 amp chourd epic speaker cable, god it sounds good, although i will have to experiment with the port bungs.

still in a dialema as to whether i shoud place the rs-fx's at the side or rear as i plan to keep (for the moment anyway) a pair of the kef 3005 (not the se,s) as part of 7.1 system

i realise now that mixing them is not the best idea, but curious to know the effects

A

Anonymous

firewire:

Hi, ok i've bought them as i thought i can allways sell them on if they are not suitable,

must say just tried them with my marantz cd6003 and 6003 amp chourd epic speaker cable, god it sounds good, although i will have to experiment with the port bungs.

still in a dialema as to whether i shoud place the rs-fx's at the side or rear as i plan to keep (for the moment anyway) a pair of the kef 3005 (not the se,s) as part of 7.1 system

i realise now that mixing them is not the best idea, but curious to know the effects
I would suggest sides , as most discs are 5.1 you will gain the most benifit

A

Anonymous

yes i think your right the sides are orobably a better idea,

will look out for another pair of rs-rx on ebay, to replace the 2 rear kefs

thanks for the advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts