Advice on up dating Hi Fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have a very good (I think) but also very old and large Hi Fi set up:

A pair of Lowther Acousta folded horn speakers, a Yamaha CR-820 tuner amp and a basic CD player (I also have a pair of Celestion Ditton 15 XR speakers at my disposal)

I am thinking of selling all the above and to replace them with a more modern pair of floor standing speakers and a tuner/amp. I will probably plug my laptop into the amp or may consider an amp with a memory. The tuner/amp could be a smaller, more compact design if the quality is good.

I will probably buy secondhand but may consider new depending on costs but am so out of touch with the current market that I need advice. I also need to know will what I buy be better than I have now?

I have thought about NAD and Mordaunt Short but not really sure.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

A

Anonymous

Depends really on what I sell my hi fi for but I would think about £250 for speakers and tuner/amp secondhand. What do you think? Is it possible?

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Do the speakers have to go because they are too big?
From what I hear people who have had a good pair of horns for a while become partial to their attributes. If you have a good cabinet for the speaker, generally like them and don't find them too big I'd be inclined to suggest you keep them. Doing so would allow a small budget to stretch a little further. Especially as you were wanting floor standers, which tend to be more expensive to start with (extra drive units, more complex crossover, more wood) and will cost more in postage.

Do you need radio?

I think a better CD player, amp and tuner should be available on EBay within your budget. Adding speakers too is stetching the budget too thinly for my thinking.

I think others may come up with different ideas. Keep watching this space.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, yes you are right I am hooked on the Lowther speakers but after moving house a few times recently it made me think about updating to something a bit smaller and more modern. However, would only do so if what I updated to was of a similar sound quality. The only other problem with keeping the Lowther speakers is I am not sure how compatible they will be with a new amp. Has anyone got any information on this?

The Celestion speakers are also good and might be better when connected to a newer amp.

Ideally I would also like a digital tuner but not too concerned about a CD player at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know if I can upgrade to a newer amp that can be used with my old Lowther speakers. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they should only be used with an old amp.

Any info most welcome.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Amp
I wouldn't worry about age of amp, just the sound. I doubt valve amps would fit within your budget.
The amp is a tricky choice as it needs to have a sound which compliments the speakers well and you're not fixed on speakers yet. I've not heard the Lowthers or Celestions so can't comment too much. I'm guessing something with a valvelike sweetness and warmth.
There are other sites who focus more on vintage kit and horrn speakers that should come up with fruitful advice re amp ideas.

Tuner
The aerial is in many ways the most important part of the tuner set up if you're after FM rather than DAB. Unfortunately a good FM aerial installed by a pro will eat half your budget.
2nd hand FM tuners to look at would be Arcam Deltas, Denon 260 and Hitachi FT55. Hopefully others will have other ideas.

Spkrs
You ideally need to compare directly with your own speakers. I've no good ideas on alternatives here.

What sort of music do you play in what size room? The more info you can give the more likely it is somebody will come up with ideas.
Try to listen to as much kit as you can.

A

Anonymous

Thanks

I have now decided to sell the Celestion speakers and Yamaha tuner/amp so I have 2 choices:

1) Keep the old Lowther speakers and buy a newer amp and a new DAB tuner. What sites should I visit for advice on what amp to go with old horn speakers?

2) Sell the Lowther speakers and Yamaha amp and buy a secondhand amp, new DAB tuner and secondhand speakers. I may have to up my budget though.

I have thought about NAD for an amp and maybe Mordaunt Short ot Kef for speakers. Any suggestions?

I listen mainly to Blues and Rock music in a smallish room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts