Advice on speaker cables

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for speaker cable for my av project. So far I have a Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver, and I'm currently looking at speaker options. Maybe B&W 684's, CM8's, Monitor Audio RX6's or RX8's, I'm hoping to demo in the coming week. I'll be buying the front left and right first, then adding to the system as and when I can afford to.

My question to you guys is what speaker cables to go for, I'll need 2/ 2m lengths for the left and right. I've looked on WHF best buys and seen the Audioquest FLX-SLiP 14/4 at £5.80 a metre, plus my local hifi shop sells these. Would these cables be adequate? or would buying the cable be like putting firestone tyres on a Aston Martin? I'd appreciate your advice and experience of matching cables to similar receivers/speakers.

abacus

All you need is some good quality multi strand cables which can be picked up from places like Maplins, as more expensive cables make absolutely NO difference to the sound, (As has been proven in test after test after test) so don’t waste your money on them.

Bill

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Dukeden

Opinion is divided regarding the difference cables make. The best thing to do is to ask your dealer if he has a couple of cable you can borrow to take home and try in your system. You need to listen for yourself in your own system to decide what differences a cable will make, otherwise you're just at the mercy of people who tell you that you will or you won't hear a difference.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
For my front speakers I use cheap £1.00 per metre multi strand cable.

I have more expensive cable for my centre and rears but only because I have them from when I used to spend lots on cables. I had to change my front cables due to a change of amp.

I have thought of getting thinker cable such as 4mm, around £4.00 per metre, but can't be bothered.

My system sounds good enough as it is. Good cables will make a difference over super-cheapo-bell-wire-cable and some systems may respond to fancy cables.

Try some cheapo cable from a local store and listen for a while. Then take some high end cables for a home demo – probably most noticeable on front pair + centre.

If you notice a worthwhile difference get the better cable (after trying a few maybe).

If you notice no difference then stick with el cheapo.

From experience, I've owned cables costing hundreds for 2×2.5 metre runs.

I prefer (notice no difference) my el cheapo cables.

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Okay peeps, I'll take your helpfull advice on board. I'll certainly drop by my local hifi shop and see if I can borrow some cables. Makes sense if they'll let me try them out first. I don't really want to spend a small fortune on cables if it's not required. On the other hand I don't want my system to lack due to me saving a few pennies

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Provided you have a good shielded cable you will be ok, for your system spend no more than £10 a meter IMHO. I have the CM8 package and use the van den hul wire, it's silver and shielded, so it ticks the boxes for me. As to whether a more expensive cable, say £20, sounds audibly better I really could not say from experience.

With analogue cables quality is everything and those tiny strands do matter.

They say spend 20% of your budget on cables, good rule of thumb.

Now who wants to start the debate about 'burn in' :grin:

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that. I have a friend that's very kindly offered to lend/give me 5/6m of some QED cable. I'll try it out and if it's half decent I'll just buy him a couple of cold ones :beer: and save some pennies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts