Advice on selling hifi equipment

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone have any advice on where and how to sell hifi equipment? I am looking to sell a Pioneer separates amp and CD player. Ebay is an option of course, but I would appreciate ideas.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Package everything as if you expect it to be delivered by a large catapult! (Double boxing, lots of shock absorbent 'filler' between boxes that won't shift in position during transit.)

Use ebay 'filters' to block bids from overseas (unless you welcome the extra hassle) and from people without PayPal accounts etc.

Take good, well focused and well lit, big photographs (and lots of them) showing the item from all angles (including the fact that you still have all the original manufacturer's inner and outer packaging, instructions, accessories, transit bolts, interconnects, mains leads etc.).

Ensure you send the item with recorded delivery (next day/next morning is best because it spends less time being processed) so you have proof the buyer received it.

Insure the item for at least what was paid. (I don't pass that bit on to the customer as that's my decision to cover for any refund if it is damaged/lost by the courier.)

Don't spend any time on time wasters. ("Can I come and listen to it with my amp first". No. You are not a dealer or a business and your responsibility is to ensure the item is exactly as described and not to act as 'showroom'/'demo-lounge' to all and sundry.) There are usually plenty of other people who know exactly what they want so you don't have to bother about the ones that don't.

Set a reserve so your £500 amp doesn't go for 99p by some fluke.

Be honest about the condition and ensure any defects are accurately (and clearly) explained and/or photographed in the description so there is no doubt.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Chebby; very helpful as ever.

Couple of follow on questions - if I don't have the original boxes, where's a good place to find replacement packaging?

Where do you get insurance for sending a package or is it included with the courier fees? Who do you use?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
benjaminlross said:
...if I don't have the original boxes, where's a good place to find replacement packaging?

I have a place near me that sells packaging materials. Also my workplace are always buying things like new PCs and printers etc. so I raid the IT department's plastic 'skip' for large boxes to adapt.

benjaminlross said:
Where do you get insurance for sending a package or is it included with the courier fees? Who do you use?

I have always used the Post Office / ParcelForce (and get their insurance). Never had a problem yet. Sold an entire Naim seperates system and sent it all by ParcelForce. Went like a dream. YMMV.

A

Anonymous

Great, thanks.

Do you get an estimate for delivery from Parcelforce first and add that onto the Ebay listing? Or just estimate it? Hifi equipment is pretty heavy...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I weigh the item (in all of it's packaging and outer packaging) then look up the charges for the ParcelForce service I am using and set the postage charges accordingly. (Except the extra for insurance which I pay for.)

A

Anonymous

AV Forums also has a well respected 'classifieds' section

A

Anonymous

Thanks - good tip - have you used it? How do the prices commanded compare to ebay? I imagine there are no selling fees?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
benjaminlross said:
Thanks - good tip - have you used it? How do the prices commanded compare to ebay? I imagine there are no selling fees?

Personally I would try AVForums first, mainly as there are no fees whatsoever to pay - I sold my old PM6004 when i bouht my Brio R with no problems and I got £200 also my old BX2 speakers £160 but the huy collected them.

I try to avoid ebay for anything now its just too expensive.

Good luck!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
benjaminlross said:

Personally I would try AVForums first, mainly as there are no fees whatsoever to pay - I sold my old PM6004 when i bouht my Brio R with no problems and I got £200 also my old BX2 speakers £160 but the huy collected them.

I try to avoid ebay for anything now its just too expensive.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Great, thanks! Do you have to have a certain number of posts to sell on the forum or have been a member for a certain amount of time, or can anyone do it?

A

Anonymous

I'm pretty sure you just have to be a member of the forums. There's a link to the trading rules here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/view_trading_rules.htm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts