Advice on potential speaker upgrade!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, just was wanting alittle bit of advice to people who may have heard my potential new set-up.

I currently have a Roksan Mark 3 amp and matching cd player which is linked up to a pair of original Quad 11L's.

I'm going to audition a pair of PMC GB1i's and PMC FB1i's and wondered if anyone had heard this set-up?

Eventually, I'm looking at replacing both the cd player and amp with the Naim Nait CD5i and Naim Nait 5i amp.

Do you think the Naim is a bigger enough step up from the Roksan?

Any replies would be appreciated.

By the way, my room is square, has wooden flooring and I listen to most types of music (if this saves time).

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

IMO the Nait 5i amp is not enough of a step up (nor the CDP to be totally honest). In fact, it's not impossible you'd prefer the Kandy! Speaker matching is a different ballgame. I've heard the new PMC FB1i and GB1i and both were very nice, but I don't know if the Kandy would suit them or not. Def worth trying some others like Spendor S5, B&W683, MA RS6, etc.

A

Anonymous

I just heard the Naim today and loved it. You should definitely audition one before you buy anything. Also, add the Neat Motive 2 to your speaker audition list...I was extremely impressed!

A

Anonymous

I would definitely recommend the NEAT Motive 2. I've had mine for about 18 months and am very impressed. I use them with a Myryad MX2080 amp but auditioned with 3 NAIM amps.

They are a great match with NAIM gear which IMHO plays music much better than ROKSAN (I tried ROKSAN, PRIMARE before settling for MYRYAD). I would have had NAIM but I would have been too tempted to get amp and CD player and didn't have the money at the time.

Back to the speakers, they are small floorstanders, tilted back slightly and sound excellent. After auditioning plenty of floorstanders, these just stood out as great music players. Also very make TV and DVD sound very good.

I am by no means an expert on the various aspects of sound quality but I do like to enjoy music. These speakers let you hear individual instruments without being sterile and you quickly forget about them and concentrate on the music.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies.

I heard the PMC FB1's a while ago hooked up to a reference Naim system and thought it sounded amazing and have been consideriding upgrading the Quad for a while now.

I haven't heard the Neat speakers but would be intrigued to compare them with the PMC's.

I do like my Roksan pairing and I'm not loaded so if they don't warrant replacing I won't but I do (probably like most love the idea of owing Naim products).

Just wondering if any of the What Hifi team have tried the Roksan with the PMC's and what they whether they feel the Naim gear is a bigger step up from the Roksan?

Regards and sorry if someone has replied from What Hifi and I've not realised!

A

Anonymous

Also, is it right that the Neat 2's are only 76cm high?

Not sure whether this is right as they'd surely look tiny and perhaps a little stumpy??

A

Anonymous

The height is correct. They are also slim and tilted backwards. They certainly don't look stumpy and IMHO the slanting backwards (to fire the tweeter output towards the listening height) makes them look great!

GerryMadd

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
I would also like some advice re: speaker upgrade.

I currently have an Arcam A80 amp with a P80 power amp, coupled with the CD72. My current speakers are TDL RTL3 Floorstanders which are Bi-Wired. I am thinking about replacing the speakers, and I would appreciate any advice. It's been a while since I've been HiFI shopping.

A

Anonymous

The Neats also tilt backwards because the bass port is underneath the cabinet, so it needs a little space from the floor. Having the port at the bottom gives it great bass extension - the best I've heard from a small floorstander.

A

Anonymous

Coming from a Nait5i owner:
It's not an upgrade, just a lateral move. But if you really prefer the sound go for it. Otherwise, save your pennies.

A

Anonymous

Gerrymadd: If you start your own thread you'll get a better response.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I can also vouch for the Neats motive 2 - Awesome!
Dont worry about them looking stodgy as they dont and look way better in the flesh than photos. Also very musical and deep bass (quite shocking) for a small standmounter. Im chopping and changing all my hi fi at the moment and they are the only things i am keeping. I like em too much!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="GerryMadd"]

I currently have an Arcam A80 amp with a P80 power amp, coupled with the CD72. My current speakers are TDL RTL3 Floorstanders which are Bi-Wired. I am thinking about replacing the speakers, and I would appreciate any advice. It's been a while since I've been HiFI shopping.
[/quote]

Gerry, have you tried biamping? Dali Ikon 6s work very well with a biamped Arcam set-up.

GerryMadd

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"][quote user="GerryMadd"]

[/quote]

Gerry, have you tried biamping? Dali Ikon 6s work very well with a biamped Arcam set-up.[/quote]
I will probably sound quite stupid now, I have the A80 powering the tweeters and the P80 powering the woofers. To Bi-amp would I need another power amp.
I will add the Dali's to my short list.

Thanks Joel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts