Advice on new AV receiver please!

Rich_J75

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I am about to upgrade the amp on my Home Cinema Setup and would appreciate some input. While I enjoy being able to listen to music via spotify etc, my main purpose for the new receiver is movies.

This is my current setup:
Sony Bravia (KDL-46EX500), Polk TSi300, Polk F/XiA4, Polk CS10. I don't currently have a sub, but I've been looking at the Polk DSW440. However, that's kinda low down on my list of purchase priorities at the moment.

So, my question is: Taking in to consideration my current equipment, which of these amps would be my best choice for the intended purpose - The Onkyo TX-NR609, Yamaha RX-V673, Sony STR-DN1030 or the Pioneer VSX-920?

All of these amps, when reviewed, came in with 5 star ratings and around or under 500 - which is pretty much my target price range. I'd also be interested if anyone has any suggestions other than those I listed above.

Thanks in advance for your input.

michael hoy

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It is a few years ago, but I did demo some Polk speakers with a Yamaha amp and it worked very well, someone here may have more experiance of the combinations you are looking at.

Any dealers near by to demo.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Well as a suggestion for under the £500 mark you can get a very decent A/V Amp. I would give these two a good listen, the Pioneer SC 2022 for £499 Clicky or for £449 The Yamaha RXA-810 Clicky both excellent receivers in your price range & worth an audition.

Regards ..... f1only

Rich_J75

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far. Some good suggestions I hadn't considered.
My first ever amp was a Yamaha and I remember it having great quality and I replaced it with a Pioneer, based on reviews in WHF. So I have had good experiences with both brands. As for demo-ing, I'm currently in the US, but returning to the UK soon. There is only one Polk dealer in the UK and it will be at the other end of the country, so testing amps with my own speakers is out of the question.

TRENDING THREADS