advice on i pod / i phone link up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all, I have an old sony set up, the amp is a TA-F210 and a CDP 970 CD player which is faulty at the moment , do I fix it or change ?

What do I require to play music from an i pod nano 4th gen. or i phone, what would you recomend on a small budget.

I do prefer the older system and want to keep it, but bring it up to date a bit.

Could i find what I need second hand on e bay ?

Thanks

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/qed_live_uplay_bluetooth_receiver.shtml?googlecpc

if your iPod is a Touch then this might be of interest Bluetooth.

If not, then something like this ?

http://www.hifix.co.uk/Phono-Leads/QED/PROFILE-J2P.html

although with the second you could probably source a generic one from eBay for probably a couple of quid.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your input on this.

I think I will have to try a leads type connection to the i pod and see how it works.

If I have to get a dock would I have to get a separate dac to go in line. I have an i phone 3g is there an advantage to using it over my i pod nano ?

Re budget, I dont mind, I am trying to learn what I should do for the best .

Thanks.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Lots will tell you that you must use a seperate DAC because the one in the iPhone is rubbish (it must be, it's a phone .)

if that's the case why does a high end dock like the B & W zeppelin use the iPhone DAC ?

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The Arcam drDock has an inbuilt DAC so the iPod/ iPhones is bypassed. It's £30 more expensive than the irDock which relies on the iPod DAC.

It's up to you really, but I don't think bypassing the iPod/iPhone DAC is essential.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Lots will tell you that you must use a seperate DAC because the one in the iPhone is rubbish (it must be, it's a phone .)

if that's the case why does a high end dock like the B & W zeppelin use the iPhone DAC ?

The DAC isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it can be bettered quite easily. I think the first gen Zeppelin used the analogue feed from the iPod, etc. but now?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Wireless-Music-Systems/Wireless-Music-Systems/Zeppelin-Air/explore.html

" Poor quality DACs can lose detail in the conversion process – so it’s good to know that Zeppelin Air’s audiophile quality 24bit DACs are some of the best in the business. Meaning the sound you hear is that much closer to the sound of the original performance"

Worth trying just a cable or a cheaper dock (not a digital transport or dock containing a DAC) just to see whether you are satisfied with the performance. It may be enough, especially if you aren't using lossless files.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Sorry. Yes I was referring to the original zeppelin. That's the one I had. The hi Fi diminishing returns really bites with DACs CDP. A nice case more functions and a trendy badge.

Only the individual can decide whether its worth it for the improvements.

But yes all DACs aren't (quite) the same.

A

Anonymous

Thank you again for your help.

This isn't as clear cut as I thought it would be. At least I have more of an idea what to do. I will try the basic set up and see how it works.

If I need DOC at least I know where to start now.

Thanks again. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts