Advice on choosing a system for a novice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
We are looking to buy a new audio system but haven't bought one since 1994, so we are way behind on today's technology - can anyone help advise us on what we need?

We are after 1/ play CDs 2/ Receive radio including DAB 3/ Not too bulky 4/ Turntable included or ports to allow a separate device

also desired, but not as essential 1/ Ability to burn CDs onto an internal hard drive 2/ Receive internet radio 3/ analogue audiotape palyback and record including ability to record from cd or radio 4/ inputs to allow tv to be played through speakers.

We would consider separates but mustn't be too bulky. If separates, we need to know ALL the modules we need for a fully functional system - we really are novices!

Any advice gratefully received!

A

Anonymous

Forgot to mention - budget is £2.5k - £3k, sound quality needs to be at least 7 out of 10 (10 being best on market):)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
How simple do you want it to be ?

You could look at something like the AVI ADM9 speakers. The quality of the speakers for £1250 is superb

http://avihifi.co.uk/adm9.html

You can then add sources as you like.

As the speakers include a high quality DAC you could buy a relatively modest CD player, or of course a small form pc such as a Dell Zino or Apple Mac Mini that would serve CD playing and ripping and Internet Radio make sure it has optical out, the Mac has) Buy a turntable of your choice and run it through a phono amp to the speakers.

A

Anonymous

Could strecth to £4k - like I say we are real novices. The last time we bought a hifi they were all built into towers, either as detachable modules or actually in one box.

Our last stereo was actually a B&O Ouverture (sliding door over a cd player, fm radio and tapedeck- as seen on Stallone's Judge Dredd,I noticed a few years later!) - so that is the sound quality we are used to. I guess I may need to fork out more, the B&O cost me around £2.5k in 1994.

Is there an all-in-one system out there now? All we seem to be able to find are devices to plug iphones, ipods or pcs into.

If we go for separates, is it best to stick with one manufracturer, and if so who? What generic separate items do we need?

Thanks for advice so far, keep it coming!

p.s. looked at the B&O beosound 5 but was about £5.5k with no turntable or tapedeck, and more importantly my wife didn't like the look... :(

pgoody

May 3, 2012
Visit site
The Naim Uniti 2 springs to mind. It has CD, Internet Radio, DAB and FM radio and its a streamer (and a DAC). Plus it's all in one box. If you can get one ex dem you should have enough cash left for speakers and a phono pre amp.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:
How simple do you want it to be ?

You could look at something like the AVI ADM9 speakers. The quality of the speakers for £1250 is superb

http://avihifi.co.uk/adm9.html

You can then add sources as you like.

As the speakers include a high quality DAC you could buy a relatively modest CD player, or of course a small form pc such as a Dell Zino or Apple Mac Mini that would serve CD playing and ripping and Internet Radio make sure it has optical out, the Mac has) Buy a turntable of your choice and run it through a phono amp to the speakers.

+1

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I would second that, naim uniti 2. I did have a listen at graham's hifi in london & was very impressed. I think that should be top of your list, looking at your list of requiment.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
B&O is good stuff, but you pay for the privilege.

The thing is, you'll get so many different views on here it could get confusing.

You could get together a list of needs and visit a dealer. Maybe tell them you have £1500, you can bet your life if you say you've got £4k you'll end up spending it all.

I think traditional music centres are a thing of the past.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Steve

First a few questions:

- What music do you listen to?

- How do you like it to sound eg. Smooth and detailed or more forward and exciting?

- How big is your room and how is it furnished

- Do you have a preference for Floorstanders or Standmounts?

- Would you consider a Streamer instead of a CDP?

- Are there any brands that you've heard recently, and liked?

Sorry for the inquisition, but it helps give more meaningful advice.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Yep, a NaimUniti and maybe some PMC, Spendor or Monitor Audio Audio speakers. Obviously there's more value 2nd hand.

Turntable - get a Pro-ject with build-in phono stage and use a line-in on the Naim, as with a tape player

TV input - use the fixed gain AV input

Record from radio - does anyone do that now there's Listen Again on iPlayer? :?

Ability to burn rip CDs onto an internal hard drive - hardly any devices have an internal hard disk (the Cocktail Audio X10 does, but that'll likely fail the 7/10 sound quality demand). Use something like Vortexbox.

Still, getting everything under the budget is unlikely.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for info so far, so more info as requested:

We like rock, Jazz, AOR, but have a pretty wide ranging taste in music.

We prefer the sound to be smoother and deeper.

We have a medium to small living room with a couple of sofas, a coffee table, TV and book case.

Not sure what a CDP is

Would prefer wall mounted speakers

Keep the advice coming guys, we really appreciate it

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thx for the info, and here are my suggestions:

SOURCE: Linn Sneaky.........£900

AMP : Sugden Mystro....£1250

SPEAKERS: Kef R300....£999 / LS50.....£800; Spendor SA1....£1395

The above could make up the heart of your system. You would need a ripping NAS like the Vortexbox and some speaker stands as well.

The Linn Sneaky will (imo) sound better than any CDP that is anywhere near your budget; in fact you may be so pleased with the sound, that a Turntable will not be necessary (but this may depend on the size of your record collection) Nb. Records can be digitized if necessary. The Sneaky will also stream radio, so that is covered.

The Sugden Mystro is one of the most musical amps in it's price range, has a MM phono stage for a future TT and would sound great with the type of music you listen to.

As you see from the above advice, I've blown your budget without including a TT, but it is essential to get the fundementals right, and this can be added at a future date if necessary.

This is just my vision for where you should head, and is just a starting point to help you select items for demo, as it has to be your ears that ultimately choose.

Cno

T

the record spot

Hi Steve, chances are, you maybe don't even need to spend that amount of money on your system. Significantly less will give you some great options.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts