Advice on buying a new system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Newbie here so please be gentle.

I currently have a Technics mini stacker system that I brought around 95-97 and I think its time I got something new and this is where I bow in your superior knowledge hoping you can help.

As I previously mentioned I am new to looking into all the spec side of things and I have tried reading up on it but I end-up with overload! If I explain what I am looking for in a system and what I have looked at so far, would you be so kind in suggesting systems and pointers that I can look at.

I am looking for a mini system that plays CD's, DAB radio and if possible a iPhone dock (not sure if there is system out there where you can use the control to select the tunes on you iPhone whilst its docked - it doesn't have to charge whilst its docked.

I have an extensive CD collection that I am thinking about transfering to an PC external hard drive to help save space, I plan to put each album in its own folder with cover art so that I can use it on my iPhone. So ideally I would like to be able to plug the external hard drive in as well and select/play my music from it through the system (this isn't essential but would be great if I could, if I can't just means CD's not being put into storage).

I have looked at the following:

Arcam Solo Mini (5 star rating)

Cambridge Audio One (4 star rating)

Marantz M-CR502 (5 star rating)

Out of the 3 Arcam is the most expensive so I would set that as my maximum price budget so if you can suggest alternative makes then please feel free!

Just to help understand my needs I listen to a vast array of music ranging from indie, bit of Al Green, Barry White, classical, 70s and 80s, live recorded sets and todays dance music

Thanking you all in advance

A

Anonymous

if i were you I might consider a network route - a sonus or even an Olive connected to a server (aka your pc). You can transfer all your cds in hi-res format to the drive.

As for the list mentioned, consider a Primare all in one and the Audio Analogue unit.

If in a small room you should focus on near field monitors. Decent floor standers under 500 pounds are readily available too.

A

Anonymous

If I was going to pich out of any single box solution systems, then it would be the solo, or if that is your budget, you might be able to get the solo's bigger brother second hand or ex demo.

Have a shop around for ex demo ones on the net.

What kind of speakers would you be looking at, stand mounts? And what would your budget be for these?

A

Anonymous

Xcess- Many thanks for your suggestions I am not overly keane on the idea of networking my music as I don't have the need to do it and I don't like the idea having to fire up my PC to listen to my music.What is the model number of the Primare all in one so that I can have a look?

Potboyslim - It doesn't have to be an all in one I just prefer them to look at when they are sitting in a room. I don't like the idea of ex-demo and second hand stuff so its not really a route I would like to visit. If you can think of other models then please do. In regards to speaks for now one would be raised and other probably on the floor although that will change within the near future as I will be moving within the next 12months (hopefully). In regards to budget on speaks I would say £500 would be my limit although that would be at a push but I can acheive it.

What do you and everyone else suggest?

Again thanking you in advance

A

Anonymous

Xcess- Just found which one you are refering to now, need to have a read up on it see what it can/cannot do.

mightymax:

Xcess- Many thanks for your suggestions I am not overly keane on the idea of networking my music as I don't have the need to do it and I don't like the idea having to fire up my PC to listen to my music.What is the model number of the Primare all in one so that I can have a look?

Potboyslim - It doesn't have to be an all in one I just prefer them to look at when they are sitting in a room. I don't like the idea of ex-demo and second hand stuff so its not really a route I would like to visit. If you can think of other models then please do. In regards to speaks for now one would be raised and other probably on the floor although that will change within the near future as I will be moving within the next 12months (hopefully). In regards to budget on speaks I would say £500 would be my limit although that would be at a push but I can acheive it.

What do you and everyone else suggest?

Again thanking you in advance

It's a case on contacting your local dealer, tell him what your max budget, what your looking for and SQ expectation, is and arrange a dem.

A

Anonymous

Plastic Penguin I have every intention of doing that I am just mindful that a sales man doesn't try to baffle me with sales pitch so if people who have already had experience or in the know about it all all the more!

If I goto a sales room and say this is what SQ I am after and this is my budget they will naturally go to the top of my budget when a system at a lower cost could perform just as well but not brought to my attention due to me saying how much I can spend in the first place

A

Anonymous

I was in a similar boat last year (replacing a knackered 15 year old sony mini system) and was looking at the 2 systems you mentioned (arcam and marantz) plus the denon dm37.

Ended up going for the arcam solo mini with whardale 10.1s and an rdock. With cables came in below £1k and i have to say i love it. Was noticeably better than the denon, although i never auditoned the marantz. Its a smart looking bit of kit too.

CD's sound fab, and good quality digital music through the rdock is a winner. My ipod classic can also be controlled through the arcam remote. Digital music below 256kps does get shown up a bit though.

As such i'm in the process of re-ripping my cds but time is the enemy! Only about 50 have been reripped at lossless - another 750+ to go! That's why i rejected the NAS and sonos type route - that may come into play later when i've finally got round to re-ripping all my cds at a good bit rate.

Hope this helps. If you buy the arcam i'm sure you wont be dissapointed.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
mightymax:
Plastic Penguin I have every intention of doing that I am just mindful that a sales man doesn't try to baffle me with sales pitch so if people who have already had experience or in the know about it all all the more!

If I goto a sales room and say this is what SQ I am after and this is my budget they will naturally go to the top of my budget when a system at a lower cost could perform just as well but not brought to my attention due to me saying how much I can spend in the first place

That's probably fair comment in 'currys world' but in my experience your
local HI-Fi dealer (audio-t, sevenoaks,etc) tend to see you as a long
term customer and these guys don't pressure sell, they just want you to
be happy with your choice. BTW I do not work in the audio retail sector.
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts