Advice on buying 2nd hand equipment

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have just paid a seller a token deposit for a 3 month old power amp with his bank details he's given me using online banking. The balance of over £1000 will be paid when the owner delivers it in 12 or so days time. I'd prefer not to pay cash but tranfer the balance in his presence. He may agree to this method if satisfied that I can't cancel the transaction after he's left! I'm awaiting a reply from my bank regarding cancellation.

Any thoughts or experiences on buying expensive nearly new 2nd hand HiFi would be welcome.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Trust plays a large factor in buying used. Luckily, most sellers are genuine and honest. Unfortunately a few always mess it up for the many.

Being streetwise about ebay ratings/feedback, reading into the ads etc goes some way of limiting the risk but there's never a guarantee for success unless you buy s/h from a dealer which usually also gives a short warranty.

regards

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Fortunately, the amp itself is a known quantity to me & the fact the seller is willing to deliver in person bodes well. The manufacturer has a good reputation as do the importers. Things can get more complicated when stuff goes wrong under guarantee.

A

Anonymous

Being a bit of a mistrusting guy, I wonder why he wants to deliver rather than you collect from his house where you could have a demo. Is it his to sell? When he delivers verify his address from a driving licence or similar to be on the safe side. :read:

A

Anonymous

I'd be extremely wary of someone attending your house with your chosen purchase.

You have no comeback if its faulty - other than the good will of the seller (assuming he's genuine) or through the small claims court.

You've already parted with a large slice of money - have you seen the goods, do you know that they exist, work, and are his to sell as opposed to being stolen ???

If buying a car you wouldnt (shouldnt) meet a car seller at a motorway service station - you want to see all documents and the car at his home AND actually see him in the home, not standing outside with the car.

The private sellers market is now a very dangerous place for the unwary - I suggest that you give it a thorough test when he arrives at your house and ask to see purchase receipts. If he's genuine, he wont mind waiting a while. Additionally, take his car registration when he arrives, it gives the police a starting point should something go wrong

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Make sure his parents are with him if he is under retirement age. They should be able to vouch for him. Perhaps you can keep one for security for a while.

regards

A

Anonymous

drummerman said:
Make sure his parents are with him if he is under retirement age. They should be able to vouch for him. Perhaps you can keep one for security for a while.

regards

Careful, he might not want his parent back - you'd have to sell them on EBAY

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
busb said:
... Things can get more complicated when stuff goes wrong under guarantee.

Slightly strange logic under the circumstances but each to their own ...

regards

If the amp is 3 to 4 months old, it's still under guarantee to the original owner but only at the discression of the shop that sold it or maybe the importers when sold on.

I will obviously contact the seller asking for the original reciept & proof of his address & ID. I will obviously want to listen to it in my system before paying the balance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts