Advice on Amp and CD for B&W PM1

andy-liu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi All, i plan to go for B&W PM1 shelf-speaker, and cannot decide which amp and cd conbaition to go. Currently looking for Audiolab 8200 CDQ+ 8200 P or 8200 M, obviously my budget will be within this price range.

Any idea please fire away.

Many Thanks

Andy

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The PM1s like all the driving you can get, so while the 8200P will do the job, the PM1s will still appreciate the 8200Ms.

At a similar price, you could also look at the Musical Fidelity M3i and M3CD, the Yamaha AS1000 and CDS1000.

andy-liu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks David. Its a interesting combo, never listen to neither of them.

If i go for one of the combo above, Do i need a power amp addtionally ?

The Yamaha is quite powerful to get PM1 going smoothly, i think, but are they working well with PM1?

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I chose those systems carefully, as I know the PM1s are quite demanding. There's plenty of other combos I could've mentioned, but I don't think they'd get the PM1s going properly.

andy-liu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi David:

I have one more question, do i need to get a pair of stand for PM1? will it make that much difference on stand or not on it?

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
andy-liu said:
Hi David:

I have one more question, do i need to get a pair of stand for PM1? will it make that much difference on stand or not on it?

Thanks

The stands that have been designed for them are excellent. They're heavy, very rigid, and give a great platform for the speakers to do what they're supposed to do. A very high quality pair of stands will cost you nigh on £200, so it's not much more to pay to get the best out of them - plus Rees the bonus that they match :)

Hi andy-liu

All things bring equal then 8200M's over an 8200P anyday.

Btw, if budget allows then ATC's P1 power amplifier is also worth a look as the 8200CDQ/P1 is an excellent combination. The P1's high quality of power will also help keep the PM1's in check.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

andy-liu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again, David.

I have some spaces concern in my reception room, basically i have a big tv Unit and i can put PM1 on both sides of my TV.

The tv unit is pretty solid, will it affect PM 1's performance if i do not put it on stands?

Thanks

andy-liu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks rick. The real difference between 8200m and 8200p is the output power, but do u think if 8200p is powerful enough to get PM1 going smoothly?

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
andy-liu said:
Thanks again, David.

I have some spaces concern in my reception room, basically i have a big tv Unit and i can put PM1 on both sides of my TV.

The tv unit is pretty solid, will it affect PM 1's performance if i do not put it on stands?

Thanks

It will affect their performance, so you won't get the very best out of them. There are products you can look at to help, like something from Auralex or similar, which are foam platforms designed to isolate speakers in studios.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
It will affect their performance, so you won't get the very best out of them. There are products you can look at to help, like something from Auralex or similar, which are foam platforms designed to isolate speakers in studios.

I use an Auralex platform and am very happy with the result.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

I use an Auralex platform and am very happy with the result.

I have a Gramma underneath my sub, and I used to use Mopads underneath my old Miller & Kreisel S150's at one point when they had to be placed on furniture. Now that furniture has gone, the Mopads are placed along the white skirting board behind my front LCR so that it doesn't catch my eye when watching films on the projector! They do a very good job of that too :)

andy-liu said:
Thanks rick. The real difference between 8200m and 8200p is the output power, but do u think if 8200p is powerful enough to get PM1 going smoothly?

Thanks

Hi Andy

Your welcome.

With their greater reserves 8200M's are ultimately capable of going louder however and more importantly their superior quality of power enables them to grip, drip and energise speakers more effectively. 8200M's sound more composed with a deeper, tighter, faster and more dynamic performance at almost any comparable listening level.

Anyway, an 8200P will still do a perfectly good job. You could start off with an 8200P and then later on for improved performance bi amp the PM1's with a second 8200P or 8200M's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

andy-liu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rick:

I jsut rang the B&W customer , they suggest 8200p will get pm1 going smoothly. but like u said, 8200m always give more headroom for its performance.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've just remembered another combo to check out, as they were delivered into us yesterday - the Rotel RCD1570 and RA1570. The amplifier has balanced analogue, digital inputs, and USB, with 120wpc on tap. The pair come in at £1900.

andy-liu said:
Hi Rick:

I jsut rang the B&W customer , they suggest 8200p will get pm1 going smoothly. but like u said, 8200m always give more headroom for its performance.

Hi Andy

That's fair enough.

Like i said (as the the 8200P and 8200M's are gain matched) you can improve the amplification in stages while utilising the 8200P
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

andy-liu

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again David.

Havent listened to Rotel combo, it seems RCD 1570 and RA 1570 are quite new models. are they working well with PM1? have u got a chance to audit them?

Another question about the cables, my choice will be chord epic speaker cables + chord cobra for inter-conntecting cable, will be a good choice for PM1?

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts