advice on a new set-up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm about to buy my first home hi-fi set-up, i have about a grand to spend, and a few questions to ask...

I'm looking to get a decent turntable, a cd player, and an amp - i want to run all tv and computer audio through it aswell - plus speakers, but i'm not sure whether or not to go with a 5.1 system.

i do like playing atmospheric games, i can imagine the 5.1 would benefit here, but as far as movies go i'm not so much into blockbusters, more classics, so i'm not sure if it's that important.

the music i like is mainly heavy stuff or minimalist - well produced doomy metal, sparse ambient, some classical.

...So, i could do with some advice about what to buy,

also about whether or not a 5.1 is worth it, or am I better off with just a good pair of speakers?

also, if that's the case, is there a particular brand of speaker suitable for my kind of music?

also, if I intend to flac a lot of vinyl, is a usb turntable essential?

thanks,

scene

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

With a budget of £1000 to get all the kit - tt, cdp, amp and speakers - not forgetting interconnects and speaker cable - you will probably have to make compromises between 5.1 playback and music. If what you're listening to is mostly (two-channel) music and classic movies, and as you say yourself that you're not sure about 5.1, I'd concentrate on getting a really good two channel set up. You'll save the cost on speakers (and speaker cable) and an equivalently priced two-channel amp will probably knock the spots of a multi-channel one for music, especially in your price range.

As for what to get - I suppose one question that springs to mind is: How big is your room? If it's really small, I'd avoid floorstanders, but as you like "heavy stuff", then floorstanders are worth considering, as they'll have more bass, which tend to give better bass.

A USB turntable will make converting your music easier, but it's not essential. Are you going to play the FLACs back through your system, or are they for iThing consumption only?

A

Anonymous

the room is twenty five foot by ten, and there will be quite a lot of shelving up, packed with books if that makes a difference,

and it's an apartment so i'll probably have to watch my bass output a little bit,

and the flacs are just for my iPony

H said:
the room is twenty five foot by ten, and there will be quite a lot of shelving up, packed with books if that makes a difference,

and it's an apartment so i'll probably have to watch my bass output a little bit,

and the flacs are just for my iPony

Compact floorstanders are they way to go. Your room is very similar size to mine (13' x 17') and my floorstanders work a treat. The reason for floorstanders is they, generally, produce a better sound at low volumes, and when plaing films, it'll negate the need for a sub too.

With your budget and taste in music I'd look at Exposure 2010 series, Creek Evo MKI, Arcam DIVA Range (A85 and CD192) and MA RS5 or 6s.

scene

As for an actual system...

I would say that you must demo any system, preferrably in comparison to others, before buying. Having said this, you might want to consider demoing:

TT - Pro-Ject Debut III USB, from £275 - if you're serious about vinyl, and want to have the convenience of USB, If your main use for the TT is FLAC conversion - consider a USB Ion TT for £60 or so.

Amp - The Yamaha A-S500 and Marantz PM6003 are worth comparing, both have built in Phono stages - otherwise you'll need to spend some cash on an offboard one. The PM6003 is sweeter, and easier to listen to, but the Yammy more insightful, however some people find it a hard listen after time.

CDP - consider the Marantz CD6003 - can be had for £230 - the natural partner for the PM6003, both can be had from Richer Sounds (for example) - who may well be doing a system deal on them - but also a good partner for the Yamaha

Speakers - I'd say something like the Monitor Audio BX2 - which will work well with either amps - and can be had from £225, but you will need to allow for £70 or so for decent stands. Floorstanders would be a natural choice - but the BX5s are around double the price. If you can demo and find some BR5s, they might be worth a shot.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you can consider the upcoming line from Onkyo next month.

Amp Onkyo TX-8050 (Internet Radio,USB,Audiostream capable from Computer or NAS with MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless, FLAC, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, ACC und LPCM )

CDP Onkyo C-7030

Speakers I would go with MA BX2

All this should be within your budget and a solid basis for upgrading for later times if wished.

A

Anonymous

scene said:
Speakers - I'd say something like the Monitor Audio BX2 - which will work well with either amps - and can be had from £225, but you will need to allow for £70 or so for decent stands. Floorstanders would be a natural choice - but the BX5s are around double the price. If you can demo and find some BR5s, they might be worth a shot.

i'm looking at getting the BX2s, but is the benefit of putting them on stands very noticable? as opposed to just putting them on the floor?

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes the Monitor Audio BX2's look nice. Alternatively you could try the Dali Lektor 2 (which can hang from the wall) If you place the speakers on the floor the bass will sound greater but you might find you annoy the neighbours more (especially in a flat). Its a good idea to raise the level so that the tweeter is a similar level to your ear when you sit on the sofa. I think the Marantz 6003 should fit the bill well or NAD setup. best to go and audition to see which you prefer. Stands such as the Soundstyle Z2 or Atacama Nexus 6 are perfect for that size speaker. I have my Z2s filled with atabites to add stability. You can use blu-tak between the speaker and stands to reduce unwanted vibrations and also so that the speakers are less likely to be knocked off. Another tip is to go for copper cable - you don't need to spend a lot. Multi-strand is fine between 10 and 14 AWG. Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts