Advice on a first system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Any advice on building a first system on a budget of £800 - £1000 would be useful.

I need a DAC, cabling, a amp and speakers. Any suggestions would be much appreciated? The system will be played off a Computer and the DAC needs a USB option. I was considering mainly the Beresford tc-7D20 but did also consider a V-dac. The Amp and the speakers, I really do not know.

The system will be for a small room, musically I would like the system to sound 'fun.' I listen to rock/pop, indie rock, classical, jazz, and acoustic music. I really dont care about bass or the abilty for good sound at anything above a 'normal' listening volume. The system would also ideally be easy too set up. Finally, I am considering buying second hand, thinking that then I would be able to trial and resell equipment would this be advisable? If so where is a good place to look for second hand gear?

Thanks in advance,

Will
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Just reread the post - jsut to clarify. I am looking for advice on buying both new and second hand. I am considering both options equally.

Also before someone points this out I am aware 'fun' is not a great defintion of music, but its the best I could come up with.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
DAC - Beresford Caiman £220

Amp - Marantz PM6003 £300

Speakers - WharfedaleDiamond 10.1 £200

Speaker Cable - Chord CarnivalSilverscreen £6 / m Assuming 2x3m lengths = £36

Interconnect: Chord Chameleon Superscreen £120

Total = £876 (maximum)

Allows for a Tacima Cs929 mains conditioner £30

And a decent USB cable £30

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:
DAC - Beresford Caiman £220

Amp - Marantz PM6003 £300

Speakers - WharfedaleDiamond 10.1 £200

Speaker Cable - Chord CarnivalSilverscreen £6 / m Assuming 2x3m lengths = £36

Interconnect: Chord Chameleon Superscreen £120

Total = £876 (maximum)

Allows for a Tacima Cs929 mains conditioner £30

And a decent USB cable £30

This is actually a really good recommendation, but a strange one coming from someone who owns Rega/Naim.

The only thing I would change are for Musical Fidelity V-Dac and Chord Crimson as I find the Chameleon to be a bit overkill. I just tend to be rather stingy on cables.

Buy new unless you plan on changing components on every birthday of yours. But then, nothing ever goes as planned when it comes to hifi...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts