Advice Needed...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I am just in the process up upgrading my TV to a Panasonic 42PX80. I'm looking for some help in choosing a good DVD/Blu-ray player.

I will be mainly watching SD TV through a Humax 9200T PVR and DVD's. Probably won't be using any true HD sources for TV or blu-ray for a while. I'm after a DVD player/All in one cinema system that will enable me to get the best picture quality on the PX80 for my DVD's. ( For info I will be sitting about 8ft from screen)

As I vaguely understand it if I go with a cheap recorder the upscaler in the PX80 will be better than the DVD player but with better quality DVD's the upscale/image processing gets better? Also have heard going with a Blu-ray will give me better upscaling that a standard DVD player, again I assume this would depend on make/model of either!

Generally am very confused as to what to get that will give me the best picture quality!!
emotion-18.gif

Budget would be around £150-200. Any help or advice would be most welcome...

Merry Christmas!
emotion-19.gif

A

Anonymous

The best player in the £150-200 range will be the Pana BD35 or Sony 350. Both have received excellent reviews all over the place with the Pana generally edging it, but the Sony may be cheaper from internet sellers.ÿ

ÿ

Both players will give lovely pictures on the PX80 in the meantime and if you later add a modern AV receiver such as an Onkyo 606 or Yamaha 863, HD Audio too.

ÿ

8 feet is quite a close viewing position for a 42" plasma, imo!ÿ

A

Anonymous

I see both those player are blu-ray. So will I get better DVD play back from going with a blu-ray player rather than a standard DVD player?

With regards to viewing distance I was thinking of the 37PX80 but there's not a lot of difference in price and depending on where I sit it'll be between 8-10ft so thought 442" would be fine..

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
42" will be fine at 8 - 10 feet, I sit about 9 feet from mine (I'd sit back for standard TV as this will be the worst picture you'll get, especially on the worst channels like ITV4 and Dave). On the Blu-Ray vs DVD argument, most posts I've seen people agree the Sony / Panasonic Blu-Ray players upscale DVDs just as well if not better than DVD players of the same price range with the added bonus that they're also superb Blu-Ray players!
(BTW - I think you can get the Sony 550 for not much more than £200 which is a step up in quality again - we need Gerrard to confirm!).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:42" will be fine at 8 - 10 feet, I sit about 9 feet from mine (I'd sit back for standard TV as this will be the worst picture you'll get, especially on the worst channels like ITV4 and Dave). On the Blu-Ray vs DVD argument, most posts I've seen people agree the Sony / Panasonic Blu-Ray players upscale DVDs just as well if not better than DVD players of the same price range with the added bonus that they're also superb Blu-Ray players!
(BTW - I think you can get the Sony 550 for not much more than £200 which is a step up in quality again - we need Gerrard to confirm!).

I've not seen the cheaper players in action but I can confirm that the S550 is brilliant.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just bought myself one actually! Was going to get a better DVD player with decent upscaler for my region 1 DVDs (since PS3 can't play them) but then thought sod it and just bought the multi-region S550 from Richer Sounds!
Well... it is Christmas!

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Just bought myself one actually! Was going to get a better DVD player with decent upscaler for my region 1 DVDs (since PS3 can't play them) but then thought sod it and just bought the multi-region S550 from Richer Sounds!

Well... it is Christmas!

I guess it was just a matter of time that somebody had to ask,but are you still interested in the 2500BT?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. Think I might take a closer look at the Sony S350...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Faizal:I guess it was just a matter of time that somebody had to ask,but are you still interested in the 2500BT?
Yes, but that purchase isn't going to come any time soon. My order of spending goes:
1. Pay off credit card (yeah, I know, been saying this for ages, but I am getting there slowly!).
2. Projector & Screen.
3. High end Blu-Ray player.
So it's going to be a while before number 3 happens, by which time no doubt, a newer, better player will be around. The S550 will tie me over till then - since I have quite a few R1 DVDs which won't work on the PS3 and it's soo cheap at the moment for what it is, seemed like a no brainer.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:1. Pay off credit card (yeah, I know, been saying this for ages, but I am getting there slowly!). 2. Projector & Screen. 3. High end Blu-Ray player.

So it's going to be a while before number 3 happens, by which time no doubt, a newer, better player will be around. The S550 will tie me over till then - since I have quite a few R1 DVDs which won't work on the PS3 and it's soo cheap at the moment for what it is, seemed like a no brainer.

Don't worry mate we all find ourselves in the same boat,I'm sure you'll get to number 3 sooner than expected.This has been asked before but do you find S550 to be a major step-up from the PS3? I was advised to get the Pana BD55, but that's only available in South Africa early next year and I will be pairing that with the Onkyo 606.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts