Advice needed whether to upgrade dac and media streamer or go for all-in-one solution

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I currently run music via Sonos, Dac Magic to my Roksan Caspian M integerated with Dynaudio Focus 110, I am thinking about upgrading the DAC to Rega or Stello, But also have my sight on upcoming Cyrus stream XP & Naim NDX and wondering if all-in-one solution will give better sonic performance then my current setup.

I am not sure if WHF has already reviewed CA NP-30 which is also a one-box solution, may be in next issue a shootout of all-on-one streaming devices a better idea.

I am glad to see WHF has given good coverage to digital music and new trends in listening, the last two issues had good coverage on digital music, I hope that trends continues and doesn't sway back to TVs and AVs.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
NDX has received some great reviews and has a high quality DAC in it that you can plug external sources into - useful if you want to keep your Sonos so that you can continue to integrate your main listening room with other zones (if you have them) - that would also serve as a useful demo (one I'd love to do): compare streaming the same files via the NDX and the Sonos via the NDX's DAC. If you find there's little difference between them, but it is a useful upgrade over your DAC-magic, then buy an Naim DAC instead, save £1k and probably get an even better improvement.

A

Anonymous

This type of thread will dominate the forum soon, cd player's are finished, this isnt the future, this is now, no hifi newbie will go into a dealer and walk out with a cd player in there system, ive enjoyed some great cd player's over the year's cyrus dad3 q, musical fidelity x-ray, arcam cd 192, loved the format, time's are a changing.

A

Anonymous

Yes soon when we can download everything in wav or flac. Sorry that was a reply to Jimm.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Rich27 said:
Have directly compared the same files streaming via Sonos ZP90/Naim DAC vs NDX, imho NDX was much, much better.

That's the outcome that I would have expected.
(To Nigel) You should also consider streaming solutions from Olive and Linn (FWIW.I don't like Linn amps)....always worth a demo.

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts