Advice needed on buying a new phono cartridge.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Can anyone help me. I want to buy a new phono cartridge for my Project RPM 5 turntable and have a budget of up to £300.Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Ralph

Hi GadgetMan23 welcome to the forum.

Might I suggest if this post was re-posted in the Turntables etc, section of this forum you might get a few more responses.

Could I ask what cartridge you are using at the moment and what you would require from the upgrade. I presume you are looking at a Moving Magnet type for that sort of money. Are you running your turntable into the phono section of an integrated amplifier or what?

A

Anonymous

Hi chaps , thanks for the replies.

Alears,I have an old Nagaoka MP11 that someone gave me and although I like the sound,I want something better.

I like what I've heard about the Nagaoka MP500 but it is way over my budget at £500!!

Has anyone heard any of the other Nagaokas.Ones that would fall within my £300 budget.

Sadly it seems quite difficult to find shops that are willing to demonstrate a range of different cartridges these days

Hi,

Whilst Nagaoka good in it's day they have been bested by other manufacturers today when comparing pricewise.

I agree Goldrings (ie the 2500) are good but suggest going for the best Ortofon you can buy for your budget, or try for a Roksan Corus Black.

Will you be considering second-hand cartridges or not?

A

Anonymous

Hi Alears,

thanks for the advice.It's much appreciated.

As to s/h cartridges,I guess I would go for one if someone was able to demonstrate it.

Had you any examples in mind I should look for ?

I only suggested second hand if you were interested in getting a moving coil type cartridge.

Still do not have information on your amplifier so I would stick with moving magnet.

Others I would suggest are Grado Reference Platinum at around £255 and Goldring 2400.

If you want the convenience of a cartridge for which you can change your own stylus if you have a mishap then I would stick with the Goldrings.

A

Anonymous

If you will be fitting the cartridge yourself, the Linn Adikt can be installed in the Project arm without needing to faff around with protractors etc.

It's made by Goldring I think, and is the best moving magnet cartidge I've heard. Mind you, I've not heard that many.

A

Anonymous

Hi again,

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions but I think I've found something perfect that's well within my budget .

A friend has just given me a demo' of his Audio technica AT-440 cartridge and frankly I was blown away!

A really detailed and neutral sound.Superb.

Better still I can get it for about £130!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts