Advice needed for birthday gift

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking at purchasing surround sound for my partners 30th birthday but i am completely confused at what to buy.

I know he would like a Sony system to match our 40'' z5500 tv. We currently have a PS3 which we primarily use for playing DVDs and a bog standard Sony DVD player too and Sky HD. Does anyone have any idea of what system would be better to buy? I would like at least 5:1 speakers, hopefully wireless speakers and if possible the tall standing ones. I just dont have a clue whether to buy a complete system or buy seperates. Any help would be much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

I forgot to give a price range, i am looking at spending up to £400

D

Deleted member 2457

My brother in law has just got the Sony BDV-E370 system for £250 and i have been impressed with this.

There is a Sony BDV-E870 which builds on that one and has two tall front speakers, i understand the rear speakers does have a optional wireless option (but you would have to look into that) also there is an option to upgrade to 7.1 speakers at the same time.

Here it is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDVE870-Blu-ray-Cinema-Playback/dp/B003I643RY?SubscriptionId=0TFJ9G9PFV79F9BK7282&tag=conspric-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003I643RY

You will have to check on the details though.

A

Anonymous

My Friend at work has the e870 and he loves it......it would be an excellent suprise. Though you couldnt use the ps3 for gaming and get HD surround sound

Sony 810 7.1 Amp and some cheap speakers could be bought (though sony do sell them to my knowledge?) and allow PS3 to connect

Always cut the red wire!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I'd buy what i just bought today!

Tannoy Mercury F3 Custom full 5.1 surround system for £410 at www.superfi.co.uk

I know it's not sony but it was over a grand when new and if he's into Home Cinema then he probably wouldn't mind it not matching.

Or if it was me, i'd get him £400 worth of Richer Sounds vouchers so that he can choose what he wants. Or drive him there and let him loose!

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
craigtumilty:
My Friend at work has the e870 and he loves it......it would be an excellent suprise. Though you couldnt use the ps3 for gaming and get HD surround sound

Sony 810 7.1 Amp and some cheap speakers could be bought (though sony do sell them to my knowledge?) and allow PS3 to connect

Worth pointing out that most games don't have lossless (HD) audio, so sending the Dolby Digital/DTS (which most do have) over optical or coaxial to the E870 won't be a problem. And obviously with this system the PS3 would no longer be on Blu-ray duty, so HD audio won't be an issue there, either.

I concur that the E870 seems the best option for your budget. As an E370 owner myself, I have been fairly impressed, especially considering the system's rock-bottom price. It's no match for a good separates system, but for that money it's pretty damn good!

A

Anonymous

aloeluv82:
I am looking at purchasing surround sound for my partners 30th birthday but i am completely confused at what to buy.

I know he would like a Sony system to match our 40'' z5500 tv. We currently have a PS3 which we primarily use for playing DVDs and a bog standard Sony DVD player too and Sky HD. Does anyone have any idea of what system would be better to buy? I would like at least 5:1 speakers, hopefully wireless speakers and if possible the tall standing ones. I just dont have a clue whether to buy a complete system or buy seperates. Any help would be much appreciated.

If he's been mentioning that he is considering purchasing a system, you can be pretty sure he already has an idea in his mind which system he likes, he may even have some history on his pc/laptop to what he has been looking at (don't shoot the messenger if you find something you don't like lol).

Surround sound and systems are a very personal thing IMO, so failing doing the above I would suggest some sort of pc generated I.O.U or vochure with pretty pictures saying you have a £400 to spend on your home cinema system or words to that effect, my wife did this once and I could just go where I wanted to buy the kit and even put some more money to it.

peddie44

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've just got a Sony STR-DH810 receiver from Richersounds for £200 with the price from this months whathifi, and then ordered Boston Acoustics XS speakers from bestbuy.com, if you go through topcashback you get 20% cashback, they are £280 - 20% so comes out at about £225. Both are 5 star award winners and then you get put the ps3 through the receiver and get surround sound from that too.

Bestbuy topcashback deal ends today however - so you would have to be quick to do that and stay near your budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts