Advice for speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have some 10 year old Acustic Research speakers(308 HO - front and 206 HO-rear), CS25 HO - Center). These are driven by a Yamaha RX-V863 AV receiver.

I was happy wiht the speakers 10 years ago when I bought them, but lately, I have felt they are weak or old. I am not an audiophile, but when playing music from radio, or cable radio or streaming via the PS3, the front speakers are rather quiet. When watching movies streamed via the PS3 or from the TV, the center channel is so quiet that I can seldom really understand the voices (the surround channel drowns out the voices).

I have high ceilings (3m - 9ft high) and wood floors and a 40m2 living room so the space is large and I wonder if this could be part of the problem. Is the problem the age of the speakers or maybe the power of the receiver? Could the power be the source of the movies or radio (from PS3 streamed from a NAS server)?

Secondly, I have a 8 month old child and the cables are every exciting for him. He loves to find them and pull them. I expect once he starts walking, the speakers (these are bookshelf sized speakers) will be knocked from the speaker stands :( So I am thinking it is time to buy new speakers. Are there really good wireless speakers? What size speakers would I need for my room size? My overall budget for speakers would be about 2500 usd.

Thanks,

A

Anonymous

What is a level meter? I have only done the auto setup with the mic that comes with the receiver

TRENDING THREADS