Advice for New Purchase - Turntable, Amplifier & Speakers

GK247

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

I'd really appreciate your input on a couple of questions I have.

I am looking to leave my one-box system and enter the world of separates. I recently inherited a large vinyl collection so the primary source will be a turntable however I will also add streaming capability later - probably test the waters with a Chromecast Audio then upgrade to a Bluesound Node.

I listened to a few combinations over Christmas and am considering the Project Xpression UKX, Arcam A19 and either the Q Acoustics Concept 20 (with matching weighted stands) or the Monitor Audio Bronze 5. The current sale offers make the Concept 20s very attractive however I dont mind spending a bit extra for the Bronze 5s - I loved the extra bass they bring to the soundstage.

My first question concerns the Arcam/Speaker combo; are these speakers too 'budget' for the A19? Should I spend less on the turntable (perhaps opt for the Debut Carbon) and spend more on speakers?

My second question concerns alternatives to the Arcam. I recently read about the Audiolab 8200a which is now discontinued. I see dealers are offloading ex-display units for as little as £350. I understand the circuit design is dated compared to the Arcam, and I read in another thread that the pre-amp stage is a bit of a let down. But this was still a £700 amp not too long ago so I imagine drawbacks are in comparison to other amplifiers in the same price range. I also like the idea of the upgrade paths available with the various power-amp options, and independant dealers offering circuitry upgrades.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a dealer near me with an 8200a to demo. Aside from not having a phone stage, does anyone know how the 8200a compares to the A19? What is the difference in delivery? Is the 8200a better value or should I stick to what I have heard and liked?

For reference I mainly listen to Indie, Rock and Acoustic. My listening area is 4m x 4m.

Thanks in advance.

GK247 said:
Hello all,

I'd really appreciate your input on a couple of questions I have.

I am looking to leave my one-box system and enter the world of separates. I recently inherited a large vinyl collection so the primary source will be a turntable however I will also add streaming capability later - probably test the waters with a Chromecast Audio then upgrade to a Bluesound Node.

I listened to a few combinations over Christmas and am considering the Project Xpression UKX, Arcam A19 and either the Q Acoustics Concept 20 (with matching weighted stands) or the Monitor Audio Bronze 5. The current sale offers make the Concept 20s very attractive however I dont mind spending a bit extra for the Bronze 5s - I loved the extra bass they bring to the soundstage.

My first question concerns the Arcam/Speaker combo; are these speakers too 'budget' for the A19? Should I spend less on the turntable (perhaps opt for the Debut Carbon) and spend more on speakers?

My second question concerns alternatives to the Arcam. I recently read about the Audiolab 8200a which is now discontinued. I see dealers are offloading ex-display units for as little as £350. I understand the circuit design is dated compared to the Arcam, and I read in another thread that the pre-amp stage is a bit of a let down. But this was still a £700 amp not too long ago so I imagine drawbacks are in comparison to other amplifiers in the same price range. I also like the idea of the upgrade paths available with the various power-amp options, and independant dealers offering circuitry upgrades.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a dealer near me with an 8200a to demo. Aside from not having a phone stage, does anyone know how the 8200a compares to the A19? What is the difference in delivery? Is the 8200a better value or should I stick to what I have heard and liked?

For reference I mainly listen to Indie, Rock and Acoustic. My listening area is 4m x 4m.

Thanks in advance.

Personally I would always say stick with what you have actually auditioned, a more expensive amp is not guaranteed to sound better and you would need to spend a good bit on a phono preamp if you went the Audiolab route.

Your main source is turntable and the major item to worry about here is the cartridge. If need be spend less on the turntable but don't get one with a cheaper cartridge. If you preferred the Bronze 5 save a bit more and get them.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

GK247

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi Al ears,

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with you about the turntable, I thought the Project UKX had better build quality than the Debut Carbon, and comes with an upgraded cartridge (Ortofon 2M Silver) which I could upgrade further in the future.

Your point about buying what I audition myself is noted - I would much prefer to demo equipment before buying regardless of the perceived discount. But I am intrigued by the 8200a, guess I just need to travel to a dealer with one in stock and take a listen for myself...

GK247 said:
Hi Al ears,

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with you about the turntable, I thought the Project UKX had better build quality than the Debut Carbon, and comes with an upgraded cartridge (Ortofon 2M Silver) which I could upgrade further in the future.

Your point about buying what I audition myself is noted - I would much prefer to demo equipment before buying regardless of the perceived discount. But I am intrigued by the 8200a, guess I just need to travel to a dealer with one in stock and take a listen for myself...

That may be a problem because, as you pointed out, they have been discontinued.

rainsoothe

Hi, haven't heard the Audiolab, but I used to own the Arcam A19, and it sounds great with Focal Aria 906. My listening room is also 4x4m.

Also, if you auditioned the Arcam + Concepts + Project combo and you liked it, I'll agree that you should just buy what you auditioned if you liked it.

But, as far as I know, the Project is pretty smooth sounding, and so are the Q Acoustic Concepts, so be careful you don't put a dull sounding system together. Also, the Arcam needs partnering with stuff that can do quick bass. Whichever speakers you go for (be it the Q acoustics or the Focals, which again match the A19 perfectly), you should consider Rega RP3 with Ortofon 2M Blue option. You can later upgrade that with Rega TTPSU and white belt upgrade.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
GK247, your large record collection deserves a better turntable than the Pro-ject Expression. Your turntable and speakers deserve better amplification than an Arcam A19 or Audiolab 8200a. Your room deserves better speakers than Concept 20's or Bronze 5's.

If you really don't know what to buy, and you want to hear something good for the price before you buy anything, go and listen to Gromit's system, either at his house or at the Scalford Show 2016.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts