Advice for a new set-up

JonnyD

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
I have been reading the forums for a while, and found lots of helpful advice, so i thought i'd take my turn to ask some questions.

Firstly, I have no hi-fi at the moment, i had a cambridge audio A5, with a sony CD player and Mission (fairly large) bookshelf speakers, all bought about 6/7 years ago. I say had, because this is all tucked away in my parents house in the UK. I now live in Switzerland, and would love a new system.

I only have a small place, 3 x 3.5-4m, and at the moment i'm having to listen to music through my laptop/mp3 player, mostly as mp3's (as high quality as i can get them). I have the parrot boombox which i bought as a solution to start with, but i'm getting tired of it now. Even with mp3/lossless quality i'm sure i would be better off with an amp/speakers solution, and can then go with CD's as i get them shipped over. I listen to mostly rock music, but a whole range really, hip-hop, drum and bass, jazz etc.

So far, I have looked into the B&W zeppelin thing, but i haven't been able to hear it, as well as NAD C325BEE which i have heard, or Marantz PM6002 + B&W 686 or 685, that i have found from the forum's would probably be suitable.

I'm just not sure which will be best for my room (speaker size/speaker+amp combo), as i can't test things here, and it's so different from the showrooms!

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Be careful with B&W, they can be a bit overpowering on the bass and uncontrolled, especially on some mp3 sources and in a small room. Monitor Audio rs1s may be a good bet although can be a bit bright with the wrong amp/cd and may lack punch - not sure with PM6002...personal preference really.

I guess it must be tricky to test kit in Switzerland but if I were you set a rough budget and next time you are back in the uk spend a day trawling the dealers and test some kit, its good fun and gives you a chance to decide what type of sound you like. The hifi road is long and complicated but very rewarding when you get it right...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It depends on your budget but if youre happy with 2nd hand (as long as the seperates/speakers are in mint condition) have a look on Ebay

I'd say a good NAD amp (C320BEE, C315BEE, C325, C352) and some B&W 601 S3 or 602 S2/S3 speakers would be better for what youre after

I do like the new B&W 685's but i have to say that in my opinion, their sound isnt as good as the B&W 602's!

JonnyD

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. There are good stores in switzerland, but just not really near where i am. Not getting much time off work and transport limits me, but thats my problem i guess. I'm planning on a trip to geneva/lausanne next week to test some kit. I just wanted to get some alternative opinions before i go really.

A friend of mine had the 601S3's and they sounded really nice with his set-up, can't remember the amp, I guess i'll have to see how different they are from the 685's. Anyone else have any comments as to how they compare?

Thanks again for the advice.

JonnyD

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
So after racking my brain, my old speakers that were paired with the CA A5 amp, were Mission 701's.

Any comments on how this might compare to the set-up i'm looking at?

Marantz PM6002 or NAD C325BEE + B&W 685 or 601S3

Thanks again for any opinion, it's giving me lots to think of for tuesday, I can't wait to get test some kit out!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts