Advice: Denon VS DENON

Lupiak

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

this is my first post and english is not my native language, so please be patient :)

I've got a pair of Q Acoustics 2020i and an old Pioneer amp (40 watts, I think). But the old Pio is beginning to fail a lot, so it's time to replace it before it kills my speakers.

Maybe I'm mixing apples and oranges, but the two options I like the most are the Denon DM39 and the Denon PMA720AE. My main source is a macbook and I've got a limited budget.

- The Denon DM39 it's great because it has an optical input so I can use its internal DAC. Will that be an improvement in terms of sound? Will this system be enough for my speakers?

- The Denon PMA720AE looks awesome and costs the same as the DM39 (crazy!!!). Maybe it is the best option for my 2020is? I can't afford buying a separate DAC, If I connect my laptop via RCA to the PMA720AE will it produce a worse sound than the DM39?

I need your help to decide which one will be better for a laptop+Q Acoustics 2020i ecosystem.

Thanks in advance!

matthewpiano

I've got the PMA720AE and I've had a D-M39DAB so I'm well placed to help you with this one.

If you want the best all-out capability as an amplifier, the PMA720AE wins comfortably. The D-M39DAB will convince you very well that it is doing everything a seperate amp will do (as it did me), but if you then switch straight back to something more powerful and capable like the 720AE you quickly realise what you were missing out on. Having said that, it is great that the D-M39DAB convinces through not making its 'faults' obvious. It also has a much better volume control than previous incarnations of the D-M series.

However, to get the best out of the 720AE with your computer you will need to do something, in the end, about the connection from your laptop. Even a relatively cheap DAC from the likes of Behringer or Fiio will improve matters immeasurably over using mini-jack to phonos direct from your laptop. Well worth making this extra investment if you can.

Lupiak

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, Matthewpiano.

I was hoping to get a "go for the DM39!" answer because it is the easiest path. I was going through a spiral of "find-the-best" and the simplicity of that micro system was like fresh air. After your answer I'm back to integrated amps, so sow I have to worry about the DAC!

The worst thing is that I know Marantz PM6005 is coming in september with a built in dac... and now I have to think if it is better to get the PMA720AE and save for a separate DAC or wait and save for the Marantz.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd get the PMA720AE and add a DAC later when I could afford it.

Or maybe you could consider stretching to something like a Rotel RA-11 or Marantz PM6005.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts