Advice (Arcam or Marantz)

ivres

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi to all. I own monitor audio bx2. I want an all-in-one system due to space limitations. I can find both marantz mcr-503 and arcam solo mini for the same price (used). I know that arcam solo mini is much more expensive but i've read in a review that in terms of audio quality they are tha same and arcam is overpriced. If there is anyone tha has listened to both to give me an advice it would be quite useful to me. Thank you in advance.

This a tricky one answer. Both are very capable units and it'll probably boil down to:

1) Which tonal quality you prefer. Both are fairly smooth in their respective presentations but Arcams IMHO are slightly more neutral, certainly at this price point.

2) Which one offers the better facilities.

Whichever one you decide, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

ivres

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Finally i heard them. Both are great. Some points. Marantz mcr 503 is more beautiful (classy in aluminium and gloss above) but arcam solo mini looks even sturdier and its weight is double the marantz. So marantz is nicer but arcam has a more 'professional' feel and look.

I heard them both with monitor audio bx2. Marantz provides a more clinical and 'fast' let's say sound. Arcam provides a sweeter, bass lighter and a little more analytical sound. I liked both. They have about the same power in real world when listening to music. Maybe if i could hook up better speakers i could understand better whicj is better. Both are great.

Marantz is quicker in terms of functionality. When i change fm stations for example, this happens immediately but with arcam i have to wait 2-3 seconds to change a station or from cd mode to fm mode etc. Maybe because arcam was released in 2008 and marantz is newer as a product (2010), i don't know. Additionally using the cd player, arcam is a little noisy when loading the cd . Marantz is absolutely quite.

I also think that Arcam has more inputs-outputs.

. Both are excellent and look nice in their own way. The sound they produce is at both great. Maybe much more expensive speakers could reveal the more capable one.

In the end of the day i am still very confused. If anyone has also an opinion on both systems would be very useful.

ivres

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I forgot to say that marantz has a nicer and more articulate display. The letters on display are clearer maybe due to the fact that white led is clearer and easier to the eye than blue led letters that arcam has which is more tiring.

Pretty much as I expected. Hi-fi is a funny old game, as there is no such thing as a perfect set-up. What you have to decide is the best compromise: Which one is easier to live with?

As regards speaker upgrades, both can take better speakers: Look at MA older Silver range, Focal, Dali, or if the budget will stretch... PMC DB1i, or Kef Q100 or R100.

ivres

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Plastic penguin thank you for your answers. I am still undecided since with both i will be happy for sure (more or less thay are the same). But i have to take a final decision.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts