Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I can appreciate that you need to run adverts on the site.

However, a lot of the adverts are really obtrusive. I've had some which are overlays of almost the entire page, requiring me to close them once the close icon has appeared and some smaller ones which pop up in the middle of the text but are drawn very slowly and even after they've been drawn the close button is not available until a second or two later.

Most other sites I read frequently don't use such adverts - can you stop doing so as well? All they serve to do is annoy readers.

thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, we reaise they can be annoying, but ads are required to fund the site. We are working with our advertising and ad ops people to make sure they strike the right balance between serving the advertisers' needs and not being overly obtrusive.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I never realised just how many intrusive and annoying adverts there are until I had to stop using Kaspersky. I use AVG now which , on here, manages to leave most stuff in the page edges. :grin:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Can I ask a question, which I genuinely do not mean to sound obnoxious, but I feel I have to ask it...

With my other hat on, I am a member of at least four other enthusiasts forums, largely run by amateurs using V-Bulletin. None of them suffer from shall we say this site's technical idiosyncracies, and none of them seem to need so much screen 'real estate' to be taken up by ads either.

In the same way that I would expect Marantz, Pioneer or Sony (etc) to be able to make HiFi components that are better built and more refined than those built by an electrician in his shed, is it wrong to expect this forum, with professional funded resources behind it, to be at least as good as an amateur one, both technically and in terms of 'experience'?

I really don't mean any of that to sound discourteous, rude, or anything negative, and on the whole I think this is great forum in terms of content and its members. But in terms of how it works and its silly quirks, it's Goddamn awful!

:cheers:

John Duncan

MajorFubar said:
Can I ask a question, which I genuinely do not mean to sound obnoxious, but I feel I have to ask it... With my other hat on, I am a member of at least four other enthusiasts forums, largely run by amateurs using V-Bulletin. None of them suffer from shall we say this site's technical idiosyncracies, and none of them seem to need so much screen 'real estate' to be taken up by ads either. In the same way that I would expect Marantz, Pioneer or Sony (etc) to be able to make HiFi components that are better built and more refined than those built by an electrician in his shed, is it wrong to expect this forum, with professional funded resources behind it, to be at least as good as an amateur one, both technically and in terms of 'experience'? I really don't mean any of that to sound discourteous, rude, or anything negative, and on the whole I think this is great forum in terms of content and its members. But in terms of how it works and its silly quirks, it's Goddamn awful! :cheers:

How long've you got?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Re the obtrusive ads, I understand people's concerns, and have already spoken to our ad ops dept to get some of them capped so (in theory) they should only be served once or twice per user. It's a difficult balance to strike: we have to have ads to pay for the site, as the alternative would be a paywall and it would no longer be free to use.

As for the technical glitches, yes they are annoying. We're hoping to move the site on to a more robust version of Drupal (our current CMS) next year, but these things take time. One thing's for sure: I'll make sure this thread is brought to the attention of the 'powers that be'.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
relocated said:
I never realised just how many intrusive and annoying adverts there are until I had to stop using Kaspersky.

Why did you have to stop using Kaspersky?

It's never let a single one through so I don't know what I'm missing! :)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
AlmaataKZ said:
Strongly against ads and strogly in favour of forum enhancements.

But are you prepared to pay for them then?

I do not think you are expecting forum users to pay for anything. What I mean is ads will drive users off the forum as will poor functioality.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
It happened to me once today where the whole screen was filled by an advert, i just clicked on the close button & the advert disappeared, i don't think i've ever really had a problem with adverts, they've never really bothered me to be honest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts