ADM40 Review

Hoodedcrow

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I hadn’t changed my Hi-Fi setup for more than 15 years as I was very happy with the sound that we had.

But after we moved to a property with a larger lounge, it became obvious that my old Stereo just couldn’t cut it in our open plan area.

On a few posts that I'd made, a couple of forum members had suggested that I should demo some ADMs before I made my final choice.

I stumbled upon some ADM40 speakers on Flea bay, they were in Rosewood, much less than they would have cost new, being only a few weeks old and the first I’d seen for sale second hand.

I thought to myself at that price, I’d have no problem selling them on if I didn’t get on with them

My first thoughts when I first saw them, was they looked nice enough, much bigger than I’d thought they would be.

I was asked if I’d like a cup of tea and whilst I waited I asked if I could hook up my iPod on an Analogue cable that I'd brought with me.

But to be honest they sounded ok, but not much or none better than I’d heard, after about 4 or so songs of different types, the guy selling them came over with his iPad and asked what song I was playing.

It was a song from the Savane album by Ali Farka Toure, he punched it into Spotify on his iPad then pressed Digital 1 on the remote and BANG ! the speakers moved up a gear.

Not louder but more like a veil had been pulled away, I sat there thinking I can hear the guy plucking at his guitar, moving his hand up and down the strings, also the gasps for breath between singing, I was also able to pick out the different instruments with ease, If I am to be honest I was shocked at the clarity and detail I was hearing.

I suggested a few more songs being very aware that others had said that the bass was lacking on ADM speakers, they didn’t sound like they were lacking to my ears. In fact they sounded very deep and full.

I enjoyed listening to them so much I bit the bullet, shook his hand and said I’d have them.

We have had them for about 2 weeks now and I’m still amazed how great music sounds, they handle the large space with ease, sounding nothing like my old system did.

We’ve also have them hooked up to my TV on a digital output and I've been pleasantly surprised how they handle movies, going much deeper than I'd have thought possible with Hi-Fi speakers with no sub.

AVI have given me a solution to a problem that I probably couldn't have solved easily, given the time and effort I’d need to put in to find a balanced system that would suit my room.

What I can say is I’m super happy with the choice I made, I’m now rediscovering old music and listening to lots of new music also, to my mind, that’s why we buy into this Hi-Fi game we play.

I’ll give an update in a few weeks time to say how things are going if any are interested, with a few more comments on my listening with them and maybe a few pictures.

T

the record spot

You got a good deal there HC; glad you like them. Have you posted up your thoughts on the AVI Forum out of interest? I'm sure Ash and the gang will be interested to hear your thoughts on the difference between files on an iPod and the Spotify equivalent. :)

Just out of interest, why was the seller selling them?

(PS - I agree, I couldn't stand a mad scientist's lab either, thankfully, I've only got about three CD players, an amp, a telly, a PS3 and a Blu-ray player neatly arranged!).

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
You got a good deal there HC; glad you like them. Have you posted up your thoughts on the AVI Forum out of interest? I'm sure Ash and the gang will be interested to hear your thoughts on the difference between files on an iPod and the Spotify equivalent. :)

Or more accurately, analogue output from the iPod using a cable and therefore involving the iPod's DAC (and probably amplification) and feeding a digital signal for the ADM40's DAC to handle.

TBH, I wouldn't think of testing our HiFi with the analogue output of my iPod unless that was how I always listened to my music (in which case I would't bother with a very expensive HiFi).

But what we really want to know is, what kind of tea did he serve you?

CJ1045

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
The tea was English breakfast from either Tescos or Sainsburys.

We were the seller. One of our customers had bought the ADMs when he couldn't find the Linn active system he was looking for. We advertised such a system shortly after he had taken delivery of the ADMs so he decided to swap and we offered a part-ex. Our customer was actually looking for MORE bass than he felt the ADMs delivered. Not only had the Linn speakers larger bass drive units the bass level could also be adjusted to his taste and room using the control on the Linn bass active card.

It was quite staggering how much better Spotify from our iPad fed via the digital output of a Linn Majik DS (so simply acting as an Airplay digital streamer as we did not have an Apple Airport express to hand) into the ADMs sounded than the iPod headphone output. Staggering but not unexpected to us although it certainly seems to have shocked our customer.

The ADMs do make a neat one box solution. Certainly in combination with an Apple Airport Express and an iPad running Spotify Premium the solution is great sounding and elegant. Simply for sound quality a Linn DS based separates system does show it a clean pair of heels - a Majik DS, Majik 2100 and Majik 140s say, is at a similar second hand price point but adds boxes, cables and the temptation to upgrade in the future!!!!

The great end to this story is that both of our customers ended up very happy.

Regards

CJ

Krescendo HiFi

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts