Adjustable volume on Headphones ?

Mr Giblets

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Just wondered if most quality headphones have an inbuilt volume control?

I bought a set of cheapish Seinheiser headphones (£25 ) just for the odd time I listen to the hifi when the rest of the family are in bed .

I had an old set of RCB50 (only cheap things)that were looking worse for wear ,but they had a volume slider inbuilt .

So using the Seinheiser I notice I have to crank the amp up to way past half to get the volume I need to rock ,and I pick up some sligh hum too!

Using the older ones ,I can set the volume at max and the amp will only need to be on less than half the way up!!

I can understand the logic behind it all , I suppose , and on that basis ,I bought a nice retro set of 70's Diamond Stylus HS200 headphones that were on the auction site last week.

Mainly because I wanted a set of older phones to go with my old Hi Fi setup, but also because I am a tight git!!

Made in Japan ,and superbly built , sound lovely ,with ear pads that dont cover the whole ear but have interesting shaped centres ,

Looks like they have hardly been used and came in a mint box to go with the mint headphones

They also have a seperate tone and volume control wheel on EACH headphone .

So now I have crowed about my purchase , can anyone tell me if they have heard them or of them??

£18.98 it says on the price ticket on the box !

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Extra analogue volume controls in-line will deteriorate the sound, unless those are merely 'signal' controls that tell a phone to increase or decrease volume.

Mr Giblets

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Interesting .

I dont know which they are , however I am very pleased with the sound quality.

Mind you , I am easily pleased , although my wife would tend to disagree!!

ark_esoteric

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, just my two cents, but I have seen a lot of (hi end) in ear headphones with volume controls built in line.

I've always considered it a negative because of the signal degredation that would come with the inline control. I wouldn't get an on ear with a control in line either.

But it does make it easy when you're out and about to change the volume. If it sounds good to you, then it's all good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts