Adding a subwoofer.................

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
.......I have bought the MA RSW12 sub (plan to pick it up from Sevenoaks soon!). It will be connected directly to my AV receiver but I'm intrigued to hear it work with my RS6s (Thaiman, I know you will lambast me for suggesting adding subwoofer to hifi!). My AV receiver has sub pre outs. Do I connect to my stereo amp via these pre outs to my 840A's pre amp out connections? If so, will the 840A work with the subwoofer automatically? I'm only going to spend £15 on some new Gotham interconnects so this will be a very cheap experiment. I just wanted to make sure I was going the correct way. Out of interest, is there anyone else who does something similar or who uses the RSW12 with music?

A

Anonymous

I use a REL Quake connected to the amp with high-level input. I find that a sub is very room dependent and set up can take a long time. I also now find that my Quake doesn't integrate satisfactorily with my speakers as it adds too much boom and is too slow. Experimentation is needed! Enjoy.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]I use a REL Quake connected to the amp with high-level input. I find that a sub is very room dependent and set up can take a long time. I also now find that my Quake doesn't integrate satisfactorily with my speakers as it adds too much boom and is too slow. Experimentation is needed! Enjoy.[/quote]

A Quake is a rather poor example of a sub.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]As usual, really no need for that last comment.[/quote]

I had one for a (very short) while so I feel qualified to comment. Problem?

A

Anonymous

Thank god, I taught I was the only bass junky. You have an Azur 840A and you need a Sub? Then my guess was right, becuase I have a 640A paired with AE and I am still not satisfied with the low frequency. I've tested 3 subs and settled with REL Quake. With about an 8" sub of 100Watts, the bass delivery for a music environment was ...acceptable. Yes we need to connect it with the Amps pre OUT. But it has to be complimented with a Y interconnect. Unfortunately the pre-out is not direct. The tone adjustment on my Amp panel does get in the way. I am using the line input, tapped from Speaker B. I set them in a way that the bass is hardly audible when the mains are working and I enjoy every track from Chris Brown.

But if you are going for home theatre setup, by all means have fun.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
No, I'm not saying that I'm not getting enough bass. My RS6s and 840A give plenty. Just that as I'm going to have a very good subwoofer for my home cinema, I'm intrigued as to what it could add (the RSW12 booms out 500w from it's 1000w amplifier!) to my sound. Would it just be more boom or would the bass sound better or worse? For the sake of a cheap interconnect it will be fun to find out. I just didn't know how to connect it that's all. And I'm really sorry but I don't understand your instructions. For the record, my sub will be connected to my AV receiver and I want to know how to connect my receiver to my 840A so that when I listen to cds, the sub kicks in.

A

Anonymous

For the cash the Quake is fine, but it all depends on what you want out of a sub. For music it's not suitable for the discerning listener!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]Agreed. Personally, I'm getting a little tired of Mastebluster's "holier than thou" attitude. Maybe you don't intend it, but it certainly comes across in your posts.[/quote]

I always was an arrogant sod and I'm rubbish at typing so tend to go straight to the point. Tell me how I can improve my image and make everyone like me.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"] For music it's not suitable for the discerning listener![/quote]

There you go. He agrees with me!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ok MB, you could have responded to Igglebert's comment by saying. I used to own a Quake too and I didn't think it was very good, in fact I sent it back, instead of, "A Quake is a rather poor example of a sub." And instead of "problem?", you could have said.......well........, it's quite obvious that that is the sort of thing you would hear in a pub, with chest pumped out and grimace on. Never mind, you have acknowledged.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Fair enough on this one. I don't know, maybe it's just the way I read your comments, but I always get the feeling of smugness as if you see the other guy as a bit of an idiot when I read your replies... If I'm wrong, fair enough, tomaeto, tomato and all that.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts