adding a stereo amp to a av amp

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i want 5.1 through a av amp for skyhd xbox360 and bluray but i want to play music through a stereo amp and cd player, using the same front speakers. I think that i need a av amp with a stereo pre out, i have about 300-500 to spend if that is possible to get one. if so what are make/model numbers i can get.

2nd question how would i wire the front speakers would they stay in the av amp or do they go in stereo amp if so, when watching a film how does the 5.1 work.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Pioneer VSX-1018, Onkyo 706, Yamaha 763 spring to mind. The basic way to do it is hook the stereo amp up (spare input/Video) to the front preout, set the stereo amp at 12 o'clock (ideally 0db) as this is a memorable position for returning the volume after listening to CD's and calibrate the amp around that. You do have to remember to turn the stereo amp down as 12 o'clock will be loud and could damage both your hearing and your speakers. I have used this setup for years now, first with a DSP-E800 and now with my present amp. I tried the AVR with music and it wasn't up to much although I'm warming to 5ch stereo with my new Focal speakers.

The front speakers remain connected to the stereo amp as that is what drives them. The AVR drives the rest. When watching a movie, both amps are on. When listening to music, the AVR can be off. I use a Squeezebox 3 connected to my AVR in pure direct mode as this allows me to use the sub too for music (I know stereo purists would scoff at this setup) as it works for me.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
smuggs:nice one sounds good just hope one of them amps has 3hdmi inputs

The Sony 2400es I mentioned in your other thread has 4 and is probably better than the others too - certainly the Yamaha.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
d4v3pum4:
Pioneer VSX-1018, Onkyo 706, Yamaha 763 spring to mind. The basic way to do it is hook the stereo amp up (spare input/Video) to the front preout, set the stereo amp at 12 o'clock (ideally 0db) as this is a memorable position for returning the volume after listening to CD's and calibrate the amp around that. You do have to remember to turn the stereo amp down as 12 o'clock will be loud and could damage both your hearing and your speakers. I have used this setup for years now, first with a DSP-E800 and now with my present amp. I tried the AVR with music and it wasn't up to much although I'm warming to 5ch stereo with my new Focal speakers.

The front speakers remain connected to the stereo amp as that is what drives them. The AVR drives the rest. When watching a movie, both amps are on. When listening to music, the AVR can be off. I use a Squeezebox 3 connected to my AVR in pure direct mode as this allows me to use the sub too for music (I know stereo purists would scoff at this setup) as it works for me.

If you get one of these http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-AZUR-840A-BLK as your stereo amp, you won't need to worry about damaging your hearing as you can fix the input and the volume never changes. This is perfect in the AV situation you want - it's the same amp I have, cannot be touched at this price range (the v2 was £999 for a while last week) and will match perfectly with your Mezzos.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I mean would the stereo amp receive all the tweekings of sound eventually beeing made by the av amp, if connected to vcr/mdr out?

Sliced Bread

Actually, I'm curious to know if adding a separate stereo amplifier (especially one of a different make) will have an adverse effect on the sound stage (especially panning) created by the AV Receiver due to different tonal characteristics.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
my idea here is to use the av amp as a pre-amplifier since it has a lot of possibilities of tweeking sound...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts