Adding a second power amp (Rotel RB06) + B&W 602S3

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a Rotel pre-amp and a Rotel RB06 power amp powering B&W 602S3 speakers.

I'm looking to add another Rotel RB06 into the mix and use them in 'bridged mono' mode. Couple of questions though....

- Rotel RB06 manual states that when used in bridged mono, speakers must have an 'impedance of 8 ohms or more'. My B&W speakers manual states an impedance of '8ohm (minimum 3 ohm)'. Will this be ok?

- Rotel RB06 is rated as 70wpc @ 8 ohms in 'normal' stereo mode, and 180w @ 4 ohms in bridged mono. Why are these two wattages rated at different impedance? Speakers have a power handling of 120W into 8 ohm, so I'm a little confused.

Just dont want to do some damage. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Fine and fine
emotion-1.gif

However what do you feel that the B&W's are lacking that makes you want to bi-amp them?

For me, like their younger brothers the 685's, they sound superb when powered by a decent amp and single wired etc...

Go for it and let us know your outcome but personally I feel it'd be overkill.

Now if you had the B&W 603 S3's or even the 604 S3's; then bi-amping, IMO, is a must
emotion-5.gif

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Cheers for the reply. The reason for all this is that when I added the first power amp I really liked the difference it made. My music was a lot more robust at lower volumes, and at higher volumes was a lot more controlled. I don't seem to listen to music at what you may called normal volumes -its either quiet or really loud.

So....I thought, if I add another one it'll get even better at low & high volumes, but as you say it may just be overkill, a bit like using evian for your pot-noodle.

A

Anonymous

Personally I do feel it'd be overkill. But, at the end of the day it's your choice so go for it if you want to.

I do think that maybe going down the integrated/power route may be a good idea instead of the pre/power/power route (plus its one less box). Use the integrated for the HF's and thew power for the LF's

I found that worked really well when I had my Arcam Alpha 9 and 9P integrated/power combo with some B&W 602 S2's and then 602 S3's (then back to the 602 S2's again) haha...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts