Adding a 2 Channel Power Amp to improve Stereo with an AV Amp??

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys

This is my first post.

I recently invested in a set of B&W Nautilus 805 speakers and am currently running them from an Arcam AVR300. It sounds good but I know it can sound a lot better. I have read that these speakers are power hungry.

I am looking into adding a power amp as it will be the most cost effective way to improve things I feel. I am happy with the AVR's performance and sound I just feel like its probably letting my new babies down a bit!

Firstly is this a good route to go?

Secondly any recommendations please for power amps - been looking at Arcam and Musical Fidelity etc.

Lastly Many of the power amps are only rated at similar wpc@8 ohms as my Arcam. Will I benefit from say buying a 100wpc power amp when the Arcam is rated at similar - or will I get very similar performance??

Thanks

Other Kit

Cyrus CD6s, Russ Andrews 8TC + 8TC Jumpers, Russ Andrews PBJ Interconnects, RA Classic mains, Tacima 6 Ways

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
The 805 is not quite as difficult to drive as some of the larger speakers in this range, I have to say power amps are the way to go as it is exactly what I have in my setup, due to necessity I have a AV based system but it has a stereo bias, I run My Marantz AV amp in pure direct, and use the pre-out in to a pair of MA6100 mono-blocks, the monos were designed to go with Marantz AV range so have the same gain, I can therefore Bi-Amplify the syatem the AV amp drives the tweeters and the Monos drive a woofer each.

May I suggest as one possible solution you look at Arcam assuming you like the sound of the Arcam, either a decent stereo power-amp or a pair of monos, and Bi-Amp, you will need to check with Arcam whether the gain is the same between the AVR and the power amps, but if it is you may be surprised how well it works.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply. I originally bi amp'd the speakers off the AVR channels 6 &7 as I thought it would be best but I didnt like the sound. I was using speaker cable that came with the speakers which reminded me of QED but it had no markings, just white biwire.

I have since bought Russ Andrews 8TC and the Jumpers which has cost me a fortune but the diifference has been amazing, I seriously love it!! The RA team suggested as good as possible single run of cable with good jumpers. This has given me the best results so far.

I want to keep the RA Cable so I am after a good stereo power amp that will match up well then... I did think this would be best.

Any Suggestions on a good choice and will the Arcam work ok as a pre-amp or will it hinder the performance of a good amp???

Thanks

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj:

Any Suggestions on a good choice and will the Arcam work ok as a pre-amp or will it hinder the performance of a good amp???

I personally think a well set up system with and AV amp at its centre can make good Hi-Fi, I have auditioned my system at home on different occasions against both integrated amps and pre amps, I came away happy with my system as it is.

TRENDING THREADS