Add preamp or buy new receiver?

Danos

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Some help needed. I'd like to add a turntable to my existing main setup which is fairly dated, consisiting of a Harmon Kardon AVR-130 Receiver. No phono stage so wondering whether the best option is to add a mid range pre-amp, or get a new receiver altogether which will take a turntable? Thoughts and recommendations appreciated!

EDIT - If I end up going for a new receiver my budget will be around $500 or less.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Try a Pro-ject deck with built in phono if you like the sound of your current kit. The elemental, essential and debut lines all have a "phono usb" version that has pre-amp built in and will connect direct to your amp

Danos

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
jmjones said:
Try a Pro-ject deck with built in phono if you like the sound of your current kit. The elemental, essential and debut lines all have a "phono usb" version that has pre-amp built in and will connect direct to your amp

Thanks JM. I already have a Technics 1200 though so looking to use that. Just unsure which will sound best, preamp with exisiting or using the phono input on a shiny new receiver. There is of course the other benefits with upgrading the receiver as well, HMDI inputs, bluetooth etc, but I'm hearing the phono stages sometimes don't have the best sound.

Danos

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
ifor said:
One then the other.

Yea, I think that's what I'll do. Get a nice new receiver with phono then a nice preamp later. Or a cheaper receiver and preamp now?!

I'm looking at the Onkyo 636 as there's one near me being sold almost new for about $400. Doesn't get a great review here but seems to everywhere else. If anyone has any recommendations as well that'd be excellent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts