Add a Subwoofer to Naim Superuniti with Proac D18?

MarkLisinski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm very happy with my Superunity & Proac D18 combination, but I'm wondering if it would make sense to add a subwoofer. Do you think it would imporve the sound quality when listening to music? What about movies?

Thanks a lot,

Mark.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Depends. A good sub that is well intergrated and brings huge benefits, a poor sub or a good sub badly set up will almost certainly be of the detriment of the overall sound.

If you fancy more bass and get something like a BK XLS200 as aminimum and take a little time to set it up then go for it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO.

For Movies - A sub is a "must".

For Music - This is a much more difficult question, and the answer depends on:

- Personal preference

- The quality of the sub (ie.fast, punchy and plays tunes, like the Paradigm Seismic 110)

- How well it's integrated with the speakers

- The quality of the EQ system used to "match" it to the room acoustics and its position in the room. Just plonking it down and hoping for the best, seldom gives good results.

Generally with a good Floorstander, I would worry it could introduce more problems than it would solve....unless you are prepared to throw a fair bit of money, time and trouble at it.

MarkLisinski said:
Hi guys,

I'm very happy with my Superunity & Proac D18 combination, but I'm wondering if it would make sense to add a subwoofer. Do you think it would imporve the sound quality when listening to music? What about movies?

Thanks a lot,

Mark.

Hi Mark

Providing a good quality sub woofer is integrated well with the SuperUniti and D18 speakers then yes you will hear a worthwhile improvement in performance. With a sub woofer in your sytem you should find that your general listening will be lower then before.

Fwiw, i've used a SuperUniti/D18 combination with JL Audio's Fathom f113 and a Fathom f212 sub woofers and the uplift in performance in drive, punch, depth, soundstage and power has to put it mildly has been significant :twisted: No u turn after this
smiley-smile.gif

Btw, what is the size of your room?

Your budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
For house and electronic music having a sub (unless you have some pretty expensive large floor standers) is a must. Mines set at 60hz with the gain at about 9 o clock, don't notice it's on until I turn it off. Adds a nice bit of weight to the music at lower volumes that's just not there unless I turn my main amp up.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There are a lot of variables here, but in general, the only way a subwoofer can really improve a system is by easing the load on the speaker's bass drivers, allowing them to concentrate on a smaller frequency bandwidth, which should allow them to sound cleaner. Of course, this depends on the capabilities of the subwoofer used. Any other 'improvement' is a result of how we perceive higher frequencies when we boost lower frequencies. The boosting of lower frequencies isn't necessarily an improvement in itself.

For movies, any system will benefit as there are low frequencies mixed into some film soundtracks that can reach below 10Hz, although to take full advantage of this sort of frequency response, you'd need a surround processor that can decode HD audio formats which can then feed a subwoofer a direct line level signal. Music is a different matter though. Personally, I'd say that it depends on the music you listen to. Most music based around real instruments tends to be fine on most good quality speakers, but there's a lot of electronic music out there that produce bass well below frequencies that most speakers can handle.

A very high quality, very capable subwoofer though will cost in excess of £1,500/2,000 (exactly how much depends on how low you want it to go, and how loud you want it to go too), and for some, this could run to £3/4k, so you then have to weigh up the pros and cons of using your existing speakers (same quality) with a sub (more and deeper bass) against a better quality pair of speakers (higher quality across it's entire frequency range). Many would probably plump for the latter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts