Active Speakers - mid range

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have just purchased a Music First Classic preamp (a well regarded passive preamp) and I am looking to match it with some active speakers. I have heard a Music First preamp running into ATC SCM100 active speakers and it was a very nice combination (albeit out of my price range).

I am trying to compile a list of active speakers to audition that have reasonable WAF appeal.

The issue I am facing is there seems to be a large gap in the market around my proposed budget of 2-3k GBP.

*At one end of the scale there is the Quad, AVI, Acoustic Energy and (slightly more expensive) Dynaudio monitor options.
*At the other end are the active ATC, SGR Audio, ADAM options etc.

Can anyone suggest some other options?

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well,this is just my opinion but give Genelec, Opal event, and AVI Floorstanders a try and ATC

You must must must a least hear some Quested speakers if you can!!!

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, second hand is tricky for me as I am in China.

Genelecs are sold here but lack WAF (but I will still look at them). I emailed the ADAM dealer (thinking about the Pencil Mk 3s) but never received a response. I wasn't aware AVi made active floorstanders.

Plan B would be to go for a high WAF compact tower (SF Toy Tower, Totem Arro etc) and wait until something active comes along (or until I am in a position to buy the SGR Audio actives I want longer term)

A

Anonymous

DeimosNZ said:

Genelecs are sold here but lack WAF (but I will still look at them). I emailed the ADAM dealer (thinking about the Pencil Mk 3s) but never received a response. I wasn't aware AVi made active floorstanders.

Plan B would be to go for a high WAF compact tower (SF Toy Tower, Totem Arro etc) and wait until something active comes along (or until I am in a position to buy the SGR Audio actives I want longer term)
No chinese copys available then ? :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
At the price you're talking shipping to China becomes feasible even second hand. ATC has a buoyant second hand market and on ATC forums a pair was sold recently to Thailand IIRC. Worth investigating.

I don't think the AVI floorstanders are for sale yet, but I may be wrong.

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Cheers, very interested in the AVIs.

Shipping to China is complicated. I looked at shipping one pair of speakers here and VAT + Import Duty +Luxury tax was estimated at 57% of the speakers value. Not sure what the rules are for second hand.

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
trying to audition a few speakers next weekend. Including Tannoy Precision 8D Active and the Focal Twin Be6 (both a bit hard to find locally).

If I can wait a few months, the AVI ADM40 looks very interesting

fr0g said:
The wireless Dynaudio XEO speakers are due out around now too. Not sure on prices.

Hi fr0g

Dynaudio XEO speakers RRP's are -

XEO 3 set (remote & transmitter) £1365

XEO 3 (remote) £1180

XEO 5 set (remote & transmitter) £2635

XEO 5 (remote) £2450

XEO Transmitter £230/piece

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
fr0g said:
The wireless Dynaudio XEO speakers are due out around now too. Not sure on prices.

Hi fr0g

XEO 3 (remote) £1180

XEO 5 (remote) £2450

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Have you heard them? It seems a very reasonable price.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
If you like the ATC/AVI sound have a listen to some Quested active monitors. They sound lovely and offer terrific value for money in the £2-3K price range. I'm not too sure about the WAF appeal though.

The Acoustic Energy Pro Sat / Pro Sub 2.1 system is also very good value for £1.5K. I'm not too sure about the WAF appeal with these either though.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:

I'm not certain but I think that they're still in the process of building the first batch and are taking orders for the second batch.

If you contact them I'm sure that AVI would be very happy to let you have a listen to the prototypes.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
BenLaw said:

I'm not certain but I think that they're still in the process of building the first batch and are taking orders for the second batch.

If you contact them I'm sure that AVI would be very happy to let you have a listen to the prototypes.

It would be a hell of a round trip for the OP for a demo...

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Have had a chat with Ashley from Avi - he certainly responds promptly.

If I want the ADMs - I probably have to wait until June. Price is 3k GBP and up (depending on veneer)- which seems reasonable for active speaker + DAC.

It is a lot to pay without a demo though.

A

Anonymous

daveh75 said:
AlmaataKZ said:
I think you can return AVI products after home demo so you risk only the cost of shipping.
Don't think you can.

One to be careful with, certainly. Technically distance selling laws (DSL) should cover the purchase but AVI have mentioned that the ADM40s are built to order. Does this mean that they're a custom product with different DSL? Always best to check with AVI before doing anything of course! Shipping is likely to cost rather a lot.

A

Anonymous

igglebert said:
One to be careful with, certainly. Technically distance selling laws (DSL) should cover the purchase but AVI have mentioned that the ADM40s are built to order. Does this mean that they're a custom product with different DSL? Always best to check with AVI before doing anything of course! Shipping is likely to cost rather a lot.

Interesting...DSR doesn't apply to "customised" goods, but "made to order" is a grey area. AVI would have to prove (to some extent) that the products are in some way customised and cannot be resold. If they are made to order but made just like every other unit, I cant see how this can be regarded as customised.

A

Anonymous

"There is no right to cancel goods that are made to the customer’s own specification. Therefore, products may not be returned if they are genuinely tailor-made products. If they are put together by combining off-the-peg options, then they may be returned."

I would say AVI speakers are the latter..is it possible to specify specific options?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
from AVI web site:

4. CANCELLING AN ORDER

Transactions made within the EU are subject to the Distance Selling Regulations that set out the rights and responsibilities of both parties. Speaker Techniques Ltd. is dedicated to providing the highest standards of customer service and extends many of the customer rights defined in the Distance Selling Regulations to customers outside the EU.

EU Customers:-

4.1 Cancellation:

a) Goods not despatched:

If you wish to cancel your order you can notify us by email to sales@avihifi.com. (DSR 3.26)

If we have not despatched the goods to you we will cancel the order and refund the amount you paid within 7 days (DSR 3.35)

b) Goods delivered:

You have the right to cancel your order within 7 days from the delivery date. (DSR 3.23)

During the 7 days you have the right to open the packaging and examine the goods.

If you wish to cancel your order you can notify us by email to sales@avihifi.com. (DSR 3.26)

Goods must be returned in original packaging or there is a danger of damage occurring in transit, please contact us in advance if there is any reason why the original packaging cannot be used.

Please ensure loose items such as AC line cords are packed securely.

You have a duty of care while the goods are in your possession (DSR 3.60). provided the goods are returned complete, with all accessories and undamaged we will refund the amount you paid within 7 days. Compensation will be claimed for items returned incomplete or damaged. (DSR 3.44)

Goods should be returned at the customers expense (DSR 3.55), we recommend using an insured carrier service.

Outside EU Customers:-

a) Goods not despatched:

If you wish to cancel your order you can notify us by email to sales@avihifi.com.

If we have not despatched the goods to you we will cancel the order and refund the amount you paid within 7 days

b) Goods delivered:

You have the right to cancel your order within 7 days from the delivery date.

During the 7 days you have the right to open the packaging and examine the goods.

If you wish to cancel your order you can notify us by email to sales@avihifi.com.

Goods must be returned in original packaging or there is a danger of damage occurring in transit, please contact us in advance if there is any reason why the original packaging cannot be used.

Please ensure loose items such as AC line cords are packed securely.

You have a duty of care while the goods are in your possession, provided the goods are returned complete, with all accessories and undamaged we will refund the amount you paid within 7 days less our shipping costs. Compensation will be claimed for items returned incomplete or damaged.

Goods should be returned at the customers expense, we recommend using an insured carrier service.

fr0g said:
MUSICRAFT said:
fr0g said:

Hi fr0g

XEO 3 (remote) £1180

XEO 5 (remote) £2450

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Have you heard them? It seems a very reasonable price.

Hi fr0g

No, i've not the XEO speakers. The XEO speakers look to be offering very good value :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts