Active or otherwise

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My current set up is a quad cdp_2 which helpfully provides three functions for me, 1. a cd player, 2. a dac and 3. pre-amp. All the inpts are digital. Outputs to head amp, quad 99 power amp and Dynaudio audience 52 speakers on Partington dreadnought stands

I've been hankering after a change of speakers and come close a few times, but price and indecision have stopped me.

The indicision is what I could do with help on.

Option 1 would be a conventional speaker and there are many, but my budget would't extend beyond £300 plus the sale of my dynaudios - could I get a reasonable upgrade at that price

Option 2 would be to sell the speakers and the amp, use the extra funds and reduce the box count with an amplified speaker.

What are my options and what would give the best results? How much would I need to spend to see a decent improvent? The AVI's look an exciting option, I'm a fan of AVI anyway and the drivers seem to me to be dynaudio sourced.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
There'll be Google Alerts pinging all over AVI FanLand even as we speak...

But seriously, if you're a fan of AVI and like the idea, I'd at least suggest you try to get an audition, and see whether you 'get' what all the fuss is about...

A

Anonymous

Andrew as you know the Avi's are very good but might well be over budget, scene as the Quad hac both Dac/pre built in there may be other pro-Active speakers within budget. I have never heard any others so cannot comment on how they compare.
Nick

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, but given that the OP said he was considering a more wholesale system revamp, involving selling his speakers and amp, and chipping in an extra £300, I thought it best to suggest he at least gives them a listen.

And that must be a first – me being pulled up by an AVI owner for suggesting a potential buyer has a listen to the ADMs!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Nick21:Andrew as you know the Avi's are very good but might well be over budget...

Nick, you are slacking!

The OP also said there was option 2...

gfef:Option 2 would be to sell the speakers and the amp, use the extra funds and reduce the box count with an amplified speaker.

Surely the sale of a Quad 99 power-amp and some Dynaudios - plus another £300 on top - must give you a chance to promote some AVIs (even if only used ones)
emotion-2.gif

The OP could sell the Quad CDP-2 as well and get an Apple TV for £100 instead.

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
IMO actives offer excellent value for money.

if you explore this route check out some semi-pro options. You need a pre-amp with them, but a dac with built in pre-amp will work just fine, such as a Beresford dac (and i'm sure there must be others)

A

Anonymous

The quad cdp-2 has pre-amp and dac so not needed, I assume from the comments that the avi includes a dac too. Is there a cheaper option without bdac that would compare. Want to at least improve on the 52's. The room is quite narrow 19ft x 11ft.

What pro-options?

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
i have not heard your speakers so cant comment on what may better them, but see here for a wide range of active studio monitors:

http://www.dv247.com/search/2940/0/ProductQuantity/Descending/-/1/

http://www.dv247.com/search/2940/0/ProductQuantity/Descending/-/1/I have heard most of the genelec range, the krk rokits and some of the fostex range. I cannot remember exactly which ones i auditioned. prices are usually per speaker btw.

How far is your listening position from the speakers? (if you have a usual place that is!) monitor speakers are usually near-field, and are meant to be used fairly close up to the listener. studio actives aren't for everyone due to this, and the looks put some people off. but worth consideration.

my genelec actives are by far the best sounding speaker i have ever heard (for my tastes)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gfef:The quad cdp-2 has pre-amp and dac so not needed, I assume from the comments that the avi includes a dac too. Is there a cheaper option without bdac that would compare.

Well, sticking with AVI, there's the Neutron Five 2.1 system, which comprises conventional speakers and a subwoofer containing amplification for itself and the stereo speakers. It's £1299.

A

Anonymous

The nuetron 5 is an interesting option - I've owned a pair of these, and they're tiny but very impressive for their size. Being tiny they are bass shy but the active bass unit makes up for this. Would that be a compromise though in comparison to the Quad 99 amp?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I haven't heard the combination, I'm afraid, so couldn't comment. But I'd certainly suggest you take a listen with your player, especially if you have previous with the Neutrons – dealer list is here

A

Anonymous

Blimey Andrew links to Avi!! At this rate Ashley will be on your Christmas card list! Joking aside I think the 9.1's are really fabulous but I've not heard the Neutrons so carn't comment. If he Op can get to Bedford he can demo mine with pleasure, that goes for anyone that is interested. My room is approx 35'x13 but almost cut in half by a chimney stack, and we don't sit in front of them as a rule.

Nick

Spelling!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts