Acceptable frequency range for turntable speakers.

davidb2002

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm buying some active speakers under £100 and I'm going crazy with all the different specs. I'm not an audiophile, but I'd like to be able to hear the highs and lows of my indie rock records when I play them.

It seems that a lot of speakers have a low end of around 80hz . Is that acceptable really for general rock music liatening? I'm not going to be playing much bass heavy music.

This'll depend on the cabinet capacity. Some speakers will naturally be better towards rock music, but as with any active speaker you'll need to budget for a outboard phono stage to play the turntable, and depending on your choice of speaker, possibly, a small sub which'll help to extend the lows.

However, there are other posters on here who own actives and who can be more specific.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
80Hzs is not very low but at £100 you will not get the size of drivers or cabinets to go down to around 50Hzs, if you want more bass you need to spend more money prob. £300+

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
All of my indie rock records have significant content below 80hz.

The only speakers below £100 that I've come across with which I'd be happy to listen indie rock are tatty 2nd hand ones.

Also the 80hz figure means almost nothing without some extra information, such as how many dbs down at 80hz, and anechoic or in room. If in room, what sort of room and where were the speakers in the room. .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts