AAARRRGGGGGGGGG

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
AAAARRRRGGGGG! trying to buy the right loudspeakers is a pain! ive yet to find the perfect speaker Ive tried Proac studio 130's PMC GB1 MA RS6 and Mezzo 6's the mezzo's are my favorite but their too big and ugly! Does anyone else get frustrated at times when trying to upgrade. Worst of all after trying all these differnt speakers ive just reconnected my quads and they now sound very plain so im now not going to be happy sticking with the quads aaarrrggg. rant over!

Sorry for the pointless post :)

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
garethwd:AAAARRRRGGGGG! trying to buy the right loudspeakers is a pain! ive yet to find the perfect speaker Ive tried Proac studio 130's PMC GB1 MA RS6 and Mezzo 6's the mezzo's are my favorite but their too big and ugly! Does anyone else get frustrated at times when trying to upgrade. Worst of all after trying all these differnt speakers ive just reconnected my quads and they now sound very plain so im now not going to be happy sticking with the quads aaarrrggg. rant over! Sorry for the pointless post :)

Now there's a gap in the market: loudspeaker make-overs! Where's Lawrence L-B when you need him?
emotion-2.gif

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes, far too many variables, are they run in? are they warm? what cable? what partnering kit? has it been warmed up. Demoing is fun
emotion-4.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Even better: the technology used for Bond's car in 'Die Another Day'! Particularly if you get user instructions from John Cleese
emotion-2.gif

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
garethwd:AAAARRRRGGGGG! trying to buy the right loudspeakers is a pain! ive yet to find the perfect speaker Ive tried Proac studio 130's PMC GB1 MA RS6 and Mezzo 6's the mezzo's are my favorite but their too big and ugly! Does anyone else get frustrated at times when trying to upgrade. Worst of all after trying all these differnt speakers ive just reconnected my quads and they now sound very plain so im now not going to be happy sticking with the quads aaarrrggg. rant over! Sorry for the pointless post :)

Interesting that you like the Mezzo 6s with the Kandy, when "The Sewage Man" hated them, or was his post all sewage and we all got suckered in.

A

Anonymous

Lost Angeles:

Interesting that you like the Mezzo 6s with the Kandy, when "The Sewage Man" hated them, or was his post all sewage and we all got suckered in.

Differing taste? Also the sewage man was using a kandy amp i think, im using a CA 840! All the speakers have good points but the mezzo has come the closest to being an all rounder plenty of detail, articulate , nice tight bass

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
garethwd:Lost Angeles:

Differing taste? Also the sewage man was using a kandy amp i think, im using a CA 840! All the speakers have good points but the mezzo has come the closest to being an all rounder plenty of detail, articulate , nice tight bass

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOppppsss Didn't read your first post very well

A

Anonymous

Funny you should say that im going to listen to some raga 5's tommorow :) and some quad 22l's

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
garethwd:Funny you should say that im going to listen to some raga 5's tommorow :) and some quad 22l's

Looks like you posted your photo set-up too soon durk, sorry gareth
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

lol! i know i was sure i was gonna just love the PMC's after all the glowing reviews. but it wasnt to be. oh well

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
garethwd:Lost Angeles:

I still think you should wait til the RS6s are run in a bit more. I can't believe you wouldn't be happy with the 840/RS6 combo.

A

Anonymous

yeah looks alone wouldnt bother that much but the mezzo'z seemed to dominate the room a little due to their size....gerrard im going to listen to some run in RS6's today and some mission 79 series floorstanders some rega r5 and some quad 22l L2

Busy day, i'll probably even more undecided tonight ;)

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
garethwd:yeah looks alone wouldnt bother that much but the mezzo'z seemed to dominate the room a little due to their size....gerrard im going to listen to some run in RS6's today and some mission 79 series floorstanders some rega r5 and some quad 22l L2 Busy day, i'll probably even more undecided tonight ;)

If you find the RS6 has too much bass, have them dig up the port plug and stick it in the rear port. This totally cleans up the midrange and eliminates bass bloat...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
garethwd:AAAARRRRGGGGG! trying to buy the right loudspeakers is a pain! ive yet to find the perfect speaker Ive tried Proac studio 130's PMC GB1 MA RS6 and Mezzo 6's the mezzo's are my favorite but their too big and ugly! Does anyone else get frustrated at times when trying to upgrade. Worst of all after trying all these differnt speakers ive just reconnected my quads and they now sound very plain so im now not going to be happy sticking with the quads aaarrrggg. rant over!

Sorry for the pointless post :)

Don't try to many buddy, it'll only confuse you plus 'plain' is not always a bad thing ... obviously coloured sounding speakers (hello MA RS ... ) can get on your nerves very swiftly coming from a relatively neutral one ...

Sometimes, good 'bandwith limited' stuff, such as some of Naim's products for example, can sound more musical and engaging despite not having the technical performance or obvious hifi sound and it's associated traits of some others. Ever wandered into a borders shop/HMV or cafe/restaurant and thought this sounds rather good ... from one speaker only or some all-in-one? To much information can make for an engrossing listen but equally an exhausting one. Somewhere in the middle is probably best ...

A

Anonymous

Rega r5 is the front runner now, not as detailed as some but i couldnt get them to sound bad, Everthing i played sounded well just right.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
vinod_david:The humble pie didn't last long enough it seems, MA+RK. First, bright, next good only for HT, now colored...

I know, tell me about. The MA RS6 is taking a beating on here lately. I'm not sure what the problem is, the are truly a fantastic speaker. They are detailed, crystal clear, have the tightest deepest bass of any speaker in their class or the next class up for that matter. The cabinet work puts most other manufacturers to shame (even more expensive ones). My pair does not sound the slightest bit bright or harsh with my NAD kit.

Yesterday I spent 2 hours with the new B&W CM9 (3 x price of RS6). I took my amp, CDP, and cable with me to demo. In the final analysis, (although the CM9 is outstanding), the RS6 is nearly as good, and I prefer it with some music.

Here's what the very respected stereophile mag had to say about the MA RS6:

"When John Atkinson suggested that I review the Monitor Audio Silver RS6, I never expected the level of realism I ended up hearing from this loudspeaker. There's nothing much more I can say-the flawless and exceptional Silver RS6 gave me more listening pleasure than any other loudspeaker I have reviewed for Stereophile. In my more than 20 years of reviewing, I have not reviewed an audio component that produced greater sound quality per dollar than Monitor Audio's Silver RS6. " http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/

Don't think I've ever read a stronger Hi-Fi product review, ever. Now, are they for everyone? No speaker is. Let's face it, speakers sound different, period, end of story. I totally understand people who prefer a different sound. But to say the RS6 is rubbish is ridiculous. It's probably the most popular speaker of WHF forum members. Pretty darn good recommendation.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
the new kef tweeter sure sounds sweet with a warm amp. I?ve heard so many speakers these last few days.(not yhe rs6) but Kef's new driver seems its perfect to me.

TRENDING THREADS