A whole new can of worms?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
. . . thats a title aint it . . . you may have seen my recent post, 'Valve rolling . . . again'. I've done very little in the way of significant chages to my system for more than 6 months. Very recently I fitted a Peeks main bearing to my much modified P5, worth the effort IMHO. However the other day, just for fun as the Russian valves were not behaving, I swaped my standard phase splitters for a pair of Sylvania NOS Onion type valves . . . flash and pricy! I have had them for almost a year, not going into the 'whys a wherefores', sufice to say, the curent set up gives them an air of life and presentation that put my system on to the next rung of the hifi ladder.

I have a lot of changes going on in my life at present, but being one to like planning ahead, the mind is going over . . . where next? Stay as I am, I doubt I can do that for long now, having found an opend door to the next level. The Icom 40 mkIII is obviously up for it, but what of the TT, replace it . . . with a new RegaTT and then mod up again, my feeling is a sidways move? Look at the existing cartridge and/or arm, alternativley to move up from the Icom PS1 phono amp? Again, get it wrong, at its best a sidways move?

One has an open mind, what might you do?

CJSF

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:

CJSF

What might I personally do? I'd sit down and spend more time listening to music instead of modding and tweaking things which in reality create precious little difference for the energy, time and money expended.

Perhaps fundamentally the problem is that I'm not an incessent modder or tinkerer, which is probably why I find digital so refreshing. My ideal system would be a streamer or a computer plugged into a really first class pair of active speakers, where the only real variable is moving the speakers around a bit until they sound at their best from where I'm sat. Well I say 'the only real variable', some would have me believe that changing the USB, coax or optical cables linking my digital source to the speakers will improve the sound. However I don't subscribe to that whack-job line of thought.

But at the end of the day you're getting enjoyment from all your tweaking and modding so what harm is it doing and who am I to judge? You did ask though.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

What might I personally do? I'd sit down and spend more time listening to music instead of modding and tweaking things which in reality create precious little difference for the energy, time and money expended.

Perhaps fundamentally the problem is that I'm not an incessent modder or tinkerer, which is probably why I find digital so refreshing. My ideal system would be a streamer or a computer plugged into a really first class pair of active speakers, where the only real variable is moving the speakers around a bit until they sound at their best from where I'm sat. Well I say 'the only real variable', some would have me believe that changing the USB, coax or optical cables linking my digital source to the speakers will improve the sound. However I don't subscribe to that whack-job line of thought.

But at the end of the day you're getting enjoyment from all your tweaking and modding so what harm is it doing and who am I to judge? You did ask though.

Hi MF . . . yes I did ask and its fair coment from your point of view. I can defend my modding and tweaking from the point of view that it has been worth while, moving me through verious doors of genuine improvement in SQ.

I went through a very low activity (mod wise) late last year up untill the past couple of weeks. That is minimal tweaking but still much musical enjoyment, with a big emphasis on streamed music from Spotify. Things might have stayed that way, I could not see a way forward on my analogue side without spending large amounts of money, potentialy almost starting again on the next rung up the ladder. I also had other things that were taking my mental and phsical time.

What propmted this new interest was one of the valves started playing up which coincided with having my ears syinged. I could not hear the dodgy valve befor the syringe job . . . Valves were cheap Russian jobies, sound good but seem to have a short life? As I had a few perfectly good quality valves in my stock, why buy new? A lot of changes have been made since these redundent 'quality valves' were last tried and rejected.

I have swaped three sets of valves, taking a total of 10-15 minuites, estimated listening time since the first swap 10 hours! half of which has been vinyl, the rest Spotify.

So I strongly defend the infered 'wast of time', even stronger defence of the 'precious little difference' achived. Agreed I'm lucky, I have lots of time on my hands being retired, but quality listening time was and is a very large percentage compared with tweaking time.

So not wishing to argue MF, I'm sure we can see how it is from both sides of the fence. In fact I agree with you about the computer/active speaker idea, nearly went that way when I returned to hifi after a 15 year lay off. Indeed it may come to that for me in the forseable future, my legs are playing merry hell with my health?

But in the meantime, I keep pressing on, enjoying my music and enjoying keeping the brain active getting the 'very best' out of my system. These valve changes are benefiting both analoge and digital mediums . . . the best; 'I did that, it is my sound' . . . *smile*

Sitting listening 'close field' on Spotify as I type, Johnny Cash 'Out Amoung the Stars', sound just great*biggrin* . . . in the mean time I'm looking at that 'new door open a crack' . . . *ok*

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts