A very personal journey

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi All I'm new to this forum (or any forum for that matter) but not to hifi. My first system was in the mid 70s and consisted of Audiotronic cassette deck, Teleton amp and speakers that were made in design class with RS components. Since then I have owned- Turntables: Trio; Rega Planar 2&3; Linn Sondek/Epos/Asak/Vallhalla. CD: Linn Karrik/Numerik. Amps: Sony; A&R A60; Naim 42/110/Snaps power supply; Linn Kairn/LK 100 Speakers: Keesonic Kubs; Mission 710; Celestion SL6; MA 852. The Present - Sky 1tb; PS3 slim; Linn Majik ds; AVR600/MF ams35i; Kef Ref speakers and sub; Cardas/Clearer audio cables. I'm a strong believer in Isolation (eg. Black Ravioli); Mains quality (balanced transformers or regenerators); Acoustic Treatment (basstraps/panels on first reflection points etc). Without paying attention to these you will never hear what your system is capable of. My taste in sound is on the Class A /Audio Note/ Cardas side of the fence rather than the Cyrus/Nordost/Focal one - Neutral is not the same as Natural. My taste in music is very eclectic - almost everything but Irish Country (uggh!) but is definately routed in the 70s - Rick Wakeman, Gallager & Lyle, Pink Floyd, Genisis etc Anyway I've rambled on enough for one day and thank you to anyone who has had the fortitude to have made it this far - I vill be back.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sorry about the layout of the above - my paragraphing which showed OK in the preview has vanished. Work with me here - I don't know which I hate more - computers or typing. When I was at school, calculators were just taking over from the abacus and computers.....well...?

A

Anonymous

Welcome to the forums CnoEvil
smiley-laughing.gif

I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with what you've said about mains, isolation and acoustics. It's something I've been sorting out over the last 12 months or so.

Some very nice kit you've had there. I'd be especially interested in your bass traps and whether they're DIY or shop bought. It's something I'm still keen to improve in my setup. Also interested in what you thought of the KEF Reference (I have the model 3s) and more about your experiences / experiments with mains regenerators and isolation.

It sounds to me like it's more of a case of HearNoEvil for you .......

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ericleroi

Thank you for your kind comments.

At the moment I am at the experiment stage. It is very easy to haemorrhage money at a terrifying rate and end up relegated to the dog house - and you know what the acoustics in there are like!

I'm messing about with Black Ravioli at the moment ie. how much and under what. It definately makes a worthwhile improvement - especially under the source and anything with a big transformer.

I'm working with a dealer who works with Advanced Acoustics - still in the embryonic stage. I've heard the difference this can make at a hifi show.

As for mains, the best piece of kit I have come across is the purepower aps range, which regenerates the mains and has battery back up - but is not rack friendly.
The alternative is a balanced mains transformer - Atlas is working on one that sounds intresting - so the jury is out at the moment.
I'm happy to keep an update going as to how I get on.

The Kef Reference are one of the best speakers to use if both AV and Stereo hold equal importance to you. There is little compromise, as they are both musical and dramatic.
They are very revealing of source, amp and cabling and their sound changes accordingly.
They like lots of power/current, which makes it all the more strange that my MF Ams 35i does such a stalwart job - its the strongest 35w you've ever heard.
Compared to your speakers, I think you will find them more accurate/detailed with tighter (but possibly less) bass, maybe slightly less smooth. David at Frank Harvey will be able to shed more light - I know he has a soft spot for the range.

I hope some of this has been helpful, and please feel free to probe further, or indeed let me know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

Aaah, Keesonic Kubs. Excellent speakers and I have three pairs of them around the house. I knew Peter Keeley the designer and have three of his 701A speakers at the front in my lounge. Completely natural, I can never imagine I'm listening to speakers.

Peter is a genius with speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dugganaudio said:
Aaah, Keesonic Kubs. Excellent speakers and I have three pairs of them around the house. I knew Peter Keeley the designer and have three of his 701A speakers at the front in my lounge. Completely natural, I can never imagine I'm listening to speakers.

Peter is a genius with speakers.

Hi Dugganaudio, you've not only dug up my first ever post, but homed in on my first pair of bought speakers. They were driven by a Sony TA F4A; with Trio KD 1033 TT and Sony TCK 4A as sources.

The speakers they beat to the finishing post were Videotone Minimax, and some Tangents that I've forgotten what the model number was.

Cno

TRENDING THREADS