A/V amp to power 4 ohm speakers???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have recently bought a pair of Dali Suite 2.8 floorstanding speakers from Sevenoaks Brighton for £230 (won them on an ebay auction)

The speakers have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms which my current stereo amp will be fine with handling (Cambridge Audio 740A)

I know that if I get an A/V amp I can use it as a pre-amp for my front speakers so that they are still running through my Cambridge stereo amp.

I was potentially looking at using the same speakers as surrounds too if I buy 2 more (can get them for £399 + £99 for centre speaker) but am concerned that most A/V amps don't state a capability of handling 4 ohm speakers.

I have also just bought a Pioneer BDP-LX52 blu-ray player from Superfi for £299.95. I was therefore looking at an amp to match this such as the VSX-LX52 (also from Pioneer). The amp (like many others) says it is capable of handling 6 ohm speakers.

This is where my problem lies. Bi-amping my front speakers is not a problem as I can do it through my Cambridge amp, but what about the rears?

As I see it, I have three options:

1: Get different surround speakers of 6 or 8 ohm nominal impedance, but which ones?

2: Find an A/V amp capable of handling 4 ohms that suis the speakers and blu-ray player

3: Buy a second A/V amp to power the second pair of Dali's so that I would have an A/V amp as a pre amp to 2 stereo amps

Option 3 seems like an expensive way of doing things and also requires a lot of rack space so would not be ideal

Any input would be greatly appriciated as to what to do... Do I go for the Dali's so that all my speakers are matching? If so, how do I go about sorting the power issue? Alternatively, do I go for different surround speakers, and if so, which ones? I prefer floorstanders (I'm a sucker for looks) and would rather spend the extra £200 on the speakers than on buying some decent stands...

Thanks for any help in advance

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The VSX-LX52 will drive the Dali's fine. Most AV amps normally around the £1k mark will drive 4ohms fine.

Don't worry about bi-amping the rear speakers, it's the front ones that are important, especially if you're going to use the system for 2 channel music as well.

A

Anonymous

david , ive recently picked up a marantz pm6003 , it has two speaker outputs on the rear , does this mean i can bi-amp ? and would you think id benefit if i did so ?? cheers..

daveh75

You can bi-wire with the Marantz, max, but not bi-amp. You'd need to add a power amp to it (assuming it has pre-outs) to bi-amp.

EDIT- Just checked and it doesn't have pre-outs, so you cant add a power amp/bi-amp.

A

Anonymous

ah , cheers daveh
emotion-21.gif
its a non runner then ....

A

Anonymous

Thanks David,

So do you think I should go for the Dali's for the surrounds too or do you have any other suggestions for surround speakers?

Thanks again for your advice

Doug

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Ideally yes. Any sound passing around between the speakers shouldn't really differ - putting different manuafcturers speakers at the rear will give you not only a different timbre, but also a totally different dispersion and balance in most cases.

A

Anonymous

Okay, thanks for your advice. Will see if I can get Sevenoaks to do me a deal on the floorstanders & centre speaker...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dougolada

I'm looking at the Dali Suite speakers myself. Just trying to scrape cash together at the moment. What's your opinion of them now you own a pair? Appreciate they won't be fully run in yet...

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I only just got them today so "Won't be fully run in yet" is quite an understatement :)

First impressions are good, build quaity is excellent, finish is lovely. As for the sonic merits of the speaker, I don't feel I am in a position as yet to give a balanced opinion as I haven't even put the floorspikes on yet. Have a search for them on these forums and you will see many happy Dali Suite owners giving their opinions. First impressions are definatly very good, crisp, clear sound, good bass, well balanced... Afraid I can't really say more as yet. I don't think you'll be disappointed though!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cheers.

I've read through many user posts regarding the Suite 2.8s and the general opinion is that they're extremely good. Please post a review once you've had a chance to fully evaluate their sonic abilities...
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts