A Totem question

I've yet to hear the Totem Arro speakers, but the compact size certainly makes me think "Mmmm, a possibility..." Given their price bracket and qualities, looking to gauge opinion on the comparison between the RS6s and Totems.

I've read in the latest group test that the Totems lack a little detail and outright bass punch, so would there be a significant improvement over the MAs?

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
PP, if you can get yourself to the Bristol show, I'm sure Totem will have some Arros on show, they normally do. Can't comment on how they compare to the MAs though. They really are tiny but sound much bigger (if that makes sense), but I can't help thinking they need a good deal of ooomph to get the best out of them - but I might be wrong.
emotion-18.gif

A

Anonymous

I've already commented on the test, which I felt wasn't using the right equipment to do the Arros justice.

They go well with a Nait5i, so should be OK with the Leema.

Diamond Joe:PP, if you can get yourself to the Bristol show, I'm sure Totem will have some Arros on show, they normally do. Can't comment on how they compare to the MAs though. They really are tiny but sound much bigger (if that makes sense), but I can't help thinking they need a good deal of ooomph to get the best out of them - but I might be wrong.
emotion-18.gif

No chance of getting to Bristol this year.

I should think the Leema has sufficient ooomph to make the most of them.

Grottyash:

I've already commented on the test, which I felt wasn't using the right equipment to do the Arros justice.

They go well with a Nait5i, so should be OK with the Leema.

I've been intrigued by the Arro for a while, although there are few outlets near me. I know that Audio-T used to sell them no longer.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:

That's a shame PP, they're well worth a listen, and I'm certain you're right about the Leema having enough ooomph.

Diamond Joe:plastic penguin:

That's a shame PP, they're well worth a listen, and I'm certain you're right about the Leema having enough ooomph.

It is, but work commitments (and a six hour round trip, which doesn't help) are more urgent than junkets to the west country. Pity, I could've made some calls to family while there.

A

Anonymous

I love my totem arros. Highly recommended.

I used to run them with cyrus original power amps monobloc'd. Now I am using an old Classe 10 power amp. They also work well with Naim.

They have a terrific soundstage. Bass is not seismic but is deep for their size and very tuneful.

I need to use Chord Chameleon Silver plus to give the bass added oomph.

If I upgrade my first choice would be other totem speakers further up the chain. I can't see me leaving the brand.

They seem to work well with a variety of amps. They do benefit from power / current as they are 4 ohm and not very sensitive.

I went to the Bristol show last year and theor room was popular. People like the sound of totems.

I seem to get plenty of detail out of mine so that puzzles me a bit but I haven't heard the other speakers.

Messiah

c14ppe:
I went to the Bristol show last year and their room was popular. People like the sound of totems.

I heard the Totems at Bristol and was very impressed. The Arros were very good.

Well worth a listen.

A

Anonymous

I heard a pair 2 weeks ago on the end of 20w of tube power and was very impressed with their overall coherence and very good sound. I was comparing them to some Thiel 1.6s and the Arro were far better in every way which was not what I was expecting at all.
Then I heard some Totem Model 1's on the end of the same amp they duly sounded terrible, just wasn't going to work with such a small amp! The Arro have remarkable Bass for their size, and can work closer to a wall than any of the other Totem models, and would be great on the end of lower power systems too, I'd like to hear them on the end of a UnitiQute for sure.

A

Anonymous

Mr. PP, Totem uses mostly Dynaudio drivers so maybe they are also worth a listen.

The focus line could be interesting.

Good luck

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
m also considering the totem arros and was quite impress by them at the end of a naim xs.Was told to try the neat motive se2 as really good also, but not sure about placement flexibility.Plus i can t audition them.Any thoughs on them?

also, i read many times that totem work very well with naim, but are they brands that should be avoided with the arros?What about class d amps?

regards

froggy

Roberto Salazar:

Mr. PP, Totem uses mostly Dynaudio drivers so maybe they are also worth a listen.

The focus line could be interesting.

Good luck

I've already dismissed Dyns (reluctantly), this is despite Dynaudio's website claiming that the DM range is easier to place, the sales person @ Audio-T said: "Yes they maybe slightly better than other ranges, but wouldn't recommend them close to a wall. There are other makes that will sound better a few inches away from the back wall..."

From what I hear [or read] on here the Focus range need at least 50cm space to sound their best.

A

Anonymous

stpierre76:m also considering the totem arros and was quite impress by them at the end of a naim xs.Was told to try the neat motive se2 as really good also, but not sure about placement flexibility.Plus i can t audition them.Any thoughs on them?
also, i read many times that totem work very well with naim, but are they brands that should be avoided with the arros?What about class d amps?

regards

froggy I've also heard them with some valve amps which sounded good, but Naim seem to suit the Totems particularly well. Haven't heard them with Class D.

A

Anonymous

Roberto Salazar:

The focus line could be interesting. Good luckAs do some Sonus Fabers.

Grottyash:stpierre76:m also considering the totem arros and was quite impress by them at the end of a naim xs.Was told to try the neat motive se2 as really good also, but not sure about placement flexibility.Plus i can t audition them.Any thoughs on them?

regards

froggy I've also heard them with some valve amps which sounded good, but Naim seem to suit the Totems particularly well. Haven't heard them with Class D.

The only trait Leema shares with Naim is it's a very gutsy amp, so I'm guessing it could be quite a tasty match... but it is only a guess at this stage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts