A tale of two cables...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Speaker Cable A: Supremely detailed and lively. Vocals sound very lifelike. Very nice imaging. Adequate bass content. Can sound a little too forward with some material.

Speaker Cable B: Rich bass. Deliciously weighty sound. Top end detail is present, but not amazing. Never sounds harsh, regardless of volume level.

Cable A makes Cable B sound dull.

Cable B makes Cable A sound light weight.

I've been using Cable B mostly, because I miss the weighty sound when I'm using Cable A more than vice-versa...

Thoughts/Comments?
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Bi-wire with A to tweeter
and B to woofer?

Or

Have them both connected at one, lol

Just a thought.

A

Anonymous

This sounds like silver coated copper versus pure copper. I've heard it said that The Missing Link, The Sling Shot Double Helix is the best of both worlds and is used by lots of Cyrus owners.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Cable A is the Crimson

Cable B is the Chameleon

Have replaced my A with a B, and am in the same boat, nowhere near as detailed. But the reason I bought B was because a was lacking some Oomph which B does produce.

Next step, who knows but mine is an amp upgrade.

EDIT: Sorry RTQ first!! I am commenting on my interconnects NOT speaker cable ........sorry
emotion-10.gif

idc

I suspect I would prefer cable A. In a non-perfect world I would prioritise what you want; bass, treble, detail etc and then decide. But you appear to have already done that with cable B. If A is a SHB it will sell easily on ebay.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:
Cable A is the Crimson

Cable B is the Chameleon

Have replaced my A with a B, and am in the same boat, nowhere near as detailed. But the reason I bought B was because a was lacking some Oomph which B does produce.

Next step, who knows but mine is an amp upgrade.

EDIT: Sorry RTQ first!! I am commenting on my interconnects NOT speaker cable ........sorry
emotion-10.gif

I had this with my I/Cs. When I bought my stuff in '02, I was given a free VDH The Bay I/C. I used this for a while, but wanted to change as it was too warm, wooly, leaden.

Found a Kimber Silver Streak on eBay, and thought it was worth a try. Major improvement in all areas, except it was a little too bright. Ideally, I would have liked a cable with a balance of 75% Kimber, 25% VDH.

Salvation came in the form of a pair of Rothwell attenuators. These had a '2 steps forward, 1 step back' effect on my stuff. Increased detail, but maybe veered a smidgen too far back towards warm and wooly, although did improve over time. Overall though, the best sound I had acheived up until that point.

Then I bought the CD192, and it propelled me into a new level of performance, but obviously I'm getting a little sidetracked now.......

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired:Speaker Cable A: Supremely detailed and lively. Vocals sound very lifelike. Very nice imaging. Adequate bass content. Can sound a little too forward with some material.

Speaker Cable B: Rich bass. Deliciously weighty sound. Top end detail is present, but not amazing. Never sounds harsh, regardless of volume level.

Cable A makes Cable B sound dull.

Cable B makes Cable A sound light weight.

I've been using Cable B mostly, because I miss the weighty sound when I'm using Cable A more than vice-versa...

Thoughts/Comments?
emotion-1.gif

Sounds like you need to look for Cable C

A

Anonymous

If you look on Cyrusunoffcial there's reviews of the ML single and dual helix, with comparisons to old faves like Kimber 8TC and Chord Signature.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:I've heard it said that The Missing Link, The Sling Shot Double Helix is the best of both worlds

I have a theory that the "best of both worlds" is impossible. Because it's not that Cable A is better on the high end and Cable B is better on the low end. It's that Cable A shifts everything in the signal toward the brighter end. And Cable B shifts the other way. So, you only have the same amount of signal to work with. You can't stretch the signal to go deeper AND higher, you can only shift the presentation to lean toward bright or dark. If you shift the whole range up, then of course the bass is less deep and so on...

Could be completely wrong, but this is what it sounds like to me with these two cables.

A

Anonymous

There's always an opportunity to increase signal quality going through the cables and I would expect that you can indeed get the best of both worlds. For example, the Chord Epic Super Twin will give you a thicker copper cable than the Odyssey 2, hopefully helping the bass. It also retains the silver coating that should help the treble. It also has better shielding but to what benefit I don't know. In theory, it should give you more of the bit you want whilst maintaining the treble.

One of the difficulties in all of this is perception. By opening up the top end it might give the impression that the bass isn't as good, and visa-versa. If you've got the cash there's other cables to try
emotion-1.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Jax ~ just to throw a 'curveball'

Why not wire BOTH sets up at the same time and see what it sounds like?

Theres no harm in it except the amp will have to drive a tiny bit harder (The current runs in AC so lengths wont matter)

In effect youll be increasing the overall diameter of the cable and id expect the overall effect to be better than what you have now

At worst it will 'sound' worse and you can remove one set

A

Anonymous

IMO cables don't add anything, they only subtract. Some conducters conduct lower frequencies better (like copper) while others (silver) conduct higher frequencies better. The more transparent the cable (ie the less it deducts) the better the sound as you really hear what your amp is outputing.

When I went from Crimson to Chameleon both treble and bass improved. Crimson was light on bass so one perceived the balance as being forward and thus may mistaken Chameleon for having more subdued top-end.

Thus, I think it's possible to have a balance between copper and silver that would give you the best of both worlds. One just may not realise it at first, especially after A/B comparisons.

A

Anonymous

It's not just about the merits of silver and copper (and carbon, my faves being VdH) but you also need to consider solid core vs. stranded. If the silver is too bright and the copper cable is of solid-core design, then the middle way is to use stranded copper cable -- as per my experience recently posted on another thread below (I believe th AQ is solid, and I know for suree the Van Damme has about 700 strands):

"...I did swap out the Audioquest Slate Bi-Wire for some Van Damme 2x6mm (gold and clear, not blue) single speaker cable; what a difference! All the lower end bloat and hang have gone, but maybe it's a bit too far the other way now, very bright and lean, so now I leave the grills on which I've never done before - but overall a revelation, my music is open and with Verve again."

Is this 'C'?

Neon - K

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts